Main Forums > The Bass Zone

About Face

(1/7) > >>

patman:
Anybody ever abruptly change how they play the instrument? Was a fingers player for 30+ years.

I started running scales and playing Charlie Parker bebop heads with a thumb pick and a finger pick sort of like a steel player...just sitting in front of the TV before going to work...

Liked the sound and feel so much, I started playing that way live...pretty much converted to being a pick player. The Gibson bass sounds good with a pick and round wounds.

Must be mid-life crisis...

4stringer77:
I almost never slap anymore. Glad you're enjoying the new approach.

luve2fli:

--- Quote ---I almost never slap anymore
--- End quote ---

Ditto.

I also use Ed Friedland's "upright on an electric" technique quite a bit ..... pinky side of the palm muting across the strings in front of the bridge and pluck with the meaty side of the thumb. I guess the thumb plucking really becomes much like using a pick ..... if the pick was made out of a cross-section of kielbasa sausage .....  :). Lots of thump and a pretty convincing upright sound in a pinch.

Highlander:
Went the other way, Pat... tin full of picks to rattle...

Slap...?

patman:
Tried to slap out a tune last night, and it's been so long that I really didn't have any facility with it...course the strings are really dead right now...need to re-string before the weekend...slapping has gone by the wayside with me also...

just looking for a nice clean studio type of sound.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version