Author Topic: replacement speaker advice  (Read 1398 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
replacement speaker advice
« on: May 09, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »

I need to replace two speakers in one of my GK SBX cabinets, the original spec is 8 ohms with 400 watt power handling. The amp is a 700RBII, which is at 320watts @8 ohms.
 So, would something like this work? Eminence Legend BP102 Legend Series 10" 200-Watt Replacement Bass Speaker 8 Ohm

It's only rated at 200 watts, am I going to push it harder than the remaining speakers and thus fry it?

Thanks!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: replacement speaker advice
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »
200 watts per speaker is fine in your case.  4 speakers so probably 4 x 8 ohm in series/parallel for 8 ohms total.  You need an 8 ohm speaker that takes at least 100 watts (amp puts out <400 so that's safe)

My recommendation for replacement would be a Faital 10PR300.  When I got a pair of the equivalent 12s from Avatar they also had the 10" version.  Don't see them on their site anymore now but maybe give Dave a call; might still have the odd pair laying about. The Faital 12s are the best I have heard (I like them more than my beloved EVs - smoother; dunno how else to describe it; personally not a fan of Eminences, but I haven't tried them all) and Avatar's price was amazing (reg about 200, Avatar had them for just over 100).  Also, super light.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:51:51 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)