Author Topic: '76 Korina Thunderbird  (Read 1271 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
'76 Korina Thunderbird
« on: May 09, 2017, 06:08:04 AM »
So if the rules at GC are they give you 60% of what they sell it for, does that mean an employee at this location paid $2k for this?  If so I may need to drive to Florida to sell some gear.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1976-THUNDERBIRD-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

Seriously, how do they get something THIS wrong?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: '76 Korina Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 07:33:58 AM »
The korina is gorgeous and the custom black pickups and hardware are way cool.  ;D :rimshot:

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »
Seriously, how do they get something THIS wrong?

They looked at a vintage price guide, found the most expensive bass that didn't look like it came from the 60's and slapped a tag on it. I seriously doubt they paid more than $5-600 for the bass unless some idiot manager bought it believing it to truly be bicentennial, and then, I expect $800-1.2K max. GC doesn't pay 60%; they go for the absolute lowball wholesale price on all used gear. In 2003 at GC, I got $600 for an old US-made 60's Epiphone 12-string acoustic. It had a cracked top, which I repaired, but it was an old crack and was discolored. It played and sounded fantastic, but I'm not much of a guitar player and it had too much soul to wait on me to become one. I was happy about the price; it was exactly what had I expected to be offered and bought my Marcus Miller. They sold it for $900, tagged at $1200. I had paid $50 for the Epi.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:01:09 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
A model of visionary quality, preceding developments that would only take place much later.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »

Are they really that stupid?  ???

FWIW  at one point I owned one that could have been it's sister.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 09:58:13 PM »
GC giving 60% of their retail? Not that I've ever heard of.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 04:58:36 AM »
A guitar player friend is one of the managers at local guitar center in Atlanta.  What he has always told me is they offer 60% of what they think an item will sell for on used gear, not necessarily retail.  They just look a "sold" auctions on ebay for the most part and then offer 60% of the lowest selling price.  Not terribly scientific, but it assumes the employee knows what their looking at from the start. 

I'd be willing to be the serial is a 2000's one that starts with 00, and the person didn't know anything beyond a serial number.  Pretty sad for you "Vintage Department" to not know the difference.

....Come to think of it it could have been 60% Off what they expect to get, I can always ask him next time I see him.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 05:40:31 AM »
That's GC for ya!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird