Author Topic: Greco TBII at Reverb  (Read 3731 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Greco TBII at Reverb
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »
From a sellers stand point it is the land of the hopeful. 
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 11:47:49 AM »
From a sellers stand point it is the land of the hopeful.

And we are the home of the fee and the land of the blave....

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
When I google for Greco TB900 (the one humbucker model) I get two hits a Reverb. Both for 1500 euro. One is from two years ago and the other 16 days ago. Both sold.

Keep in mind that when something sells on Reverb, only the last asking price shows. It won't show whether or not there was a Make Offer button, and if it sold for less, you won't see the final sale price.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 06:06:10 AM »
Really?  I thought it did show that.... huh, that's silly.

Anyway, it turns out I had the listing for the Greco in the OP still open on my livingroom comp - ask was US$1,343.65 (+135.49  shipping to NA; $50-65 in EU).  Located in France.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 06:52:53 AM »
Question:

What makes a thunderbird II special? Or any different than turning the volume down on the bridge pickup on a Thunderbird IV?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »
The single pickup is in a P-esque 'sweet spot' vs bridge position + no second pickup (and it's added load) means the tone will not be the same as the neck pickup on a IV, regardlass of the volume setting.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 07:01:19 AM »
Really?  I thought it did show that.... huh, that's silly.

Anyway, it turns out I had the listing for the Greco in the OP still open on my livingroom comp - ask was US$1,343.65 (+135.49  shipping to NA; $50-65 in EU).  Located in France.

I just looked at the listing for the EB-0 I bought late last year. It had been reduced from $1250 (or $1295, can't remember which) to $1095. I made an offer for substantially less than that, since it had been listed for two years, and they accepted. Yet the only price shown is $1095.

Point is, we don't know whether the two Rob found at €1500 actually sold at that price.

This one disappeared entirely from the site, so I suspect the seller either sold it outside of Reverb or changed his mind and pulled it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 08:03:28 AM »
Keep in mind that when something sells on Reverb, only the last asking price shows. It won't show whether or not there was a Make Offer button, and if it sold for less, you won't see the final sale price.

As far as I know, it's the same on eBay. I often see "best offer accepted", but no indication of what that offer was. I like Reverb. WAY lower fees than the bay. Not as much traffic, but when it comes to bass guitars, it's a pretty niche market anyway and the right people are looking.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 07:31:08 AM »
As far as I know, it's the same on eBay. I often see "best offer accepted", but no indication of what that offer was. I like Reverb. WAY lower fees than the bay. Not as much traffic, but when it comes to bass guitars, it's a pretty niche market anyway and the right people are looking.

True. But on eBay, you can get a rough idea by doing an advanced search of sold listings of the model, and sorting the results by price. E.g., an item that shows $700 and best offer accepted might be shown as less than one that sold at a straight $600. Of course it only works if there's more than one recent sale.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 06:25:18 AM »
You can do the same in the Reverb price guide.  If you know the date an item sold, you can ross-reference the price in the chart they show you.

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
I bought my Greco II for $750 last summer, with case, shipped I believe. I really love it, and god knows I can't afford an actual Gibson TB-II. I'm going to try picking another up some day, but only if I can get it for around the same price. I actually was in discussions with the guy for that one listed on Reverb down in Tacoma, but I had some other things come up. The one in the OP is real nice and clean, and while they aren't common, $1300 is a bit...steep.

By the way, the one form the OP IS back up on Reverb, same price:
https://reverb.com/item/5201592-greco-tb900-1977-japan-super-rare?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »
Wait: is that a nickel pup but chrome bridge?  Mod or just fashion faux pas at the factory?

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »
Wait: is that a nickel pup but chrome bridge?  Mod or just fashion faux pas at the factory?

I believe they came that way from the factory. At least, that's the same as what mine features.