Author Topic: 20th Anniversary JCS [new pics]  (Read 14025 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: 20th Anniversary JCS
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 05:04:35 PM »
Yeow! That is distressing! I wouldn't imagine that to be an issue on an actual Gibson.  :o

Back when we were buying Les Paul Standard Oversized Basses, I seem to remember Doc buying one about the time I did. His studs were pulling out right out of the box & he returned it.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 06:15:17 PM »
Funny how I've never heard about this happening with vintage Gibsons or Epis. This shouldn't happen, period.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 06:19:17 PM »
I'm just happy that I didn't have to use this here:

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 03:26:29 AM »
I have better pics, but I promised to wait until May 1st.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 05:19:49 AM »
Of all the Gibsons I've ever owned I've never had one pull the studs out of the body.  I could see it happening if they're incorrectly adjusted (at any point in it's life) or forced maybe but it's nuts that people have them come out new.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 08:29:11 AM »
Are they just drilling out the post holes a tad bigger than they used to (maybe to make fitting the bushings quicker/easier)?  Does a machine do it now?

Also I know the 60s bushings at least, had much deeper, denser packed and sharper (triangular)  teeth/knurls on them; some modern ones I have seen are barely detectable (smaller, more space between and rounded over vs sharp).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
I can see the advertising opportunities now. 2017 Epiphone basses, now featuring improved bushing knurles for a completely secured bridge!
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »
"Now, with larger knurls for your pleasure..."  :-X
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »
I can see the advertising opportunities now. 2017 Gibson basses, now featuring improved bushing knurles for a completely secured bridge!

Corrected that one for you.  :mrgreen: I have'nt seen Epiphone using the same escalating word-pooing like Gibson have over last decade.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:27:27 PM by doombass »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
My 2015 SG Standard Bass didn't have the problem. OTOH it had the Babicz bridge which sits flat on the body. That may have had something to do with it. Still, there's no excuse for bridge studs pulling out with the traditional 3-point.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 09:54:59 AM »
It has happened to Gibsons and on Epis with me, but actually more often with Gibsons! It's a quick fix repair and once glued or hammered back in, it stays that way forever. The fact that it never happens to old (from the 80ies and back) Gibsons and Epis probably has to do with wood shrinkage/drying over time. Just like old basses hardly ever need neck adjustment anymore unless you do something radical to them.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 07:13:28 AM »
It has happened to Gibsons and on Epis with me, but actually more often with Gibsons! It's a quick fix repair and once glued or hammered back in, it stays that way forever. The fact that it never happens to old (from the 80ies and back) Gibsons and Epis probably has to do with wood shrinkage/drying over time. Just like old basses hardly ever need neck adjustment anymore unless you do something radical to them.

Wood shrinking and drying would make them more likely to come out, not less.

Jake's observation about older ones having larger knurls makes sense.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 11:26:39 PM »
Wood shrinking and drying would make them more likely to come out, not less.

Jake's observation about older ones having larger knurls makes sense.

I'm with Jake here too. Last two EB-0 Projects I have done were both 65's and those anchors takes some force to get out (and back in)

On the korina epi (2000 model) I used for my most recent project however, the stopbar anchors almost fell out with no force applied.

In fear of yet another thread derailed into sexism, modern studs vs. new is day and night. The old ones are sharp and rough, while the new ones are just too smooth.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 04:31:00 AM »
It surprises me that so many Epiphones and /or Gibsons suffer from this flaw.
I have installed quite a few new three point bridges on the BaCH semi acoustic bass guitars that I've been selling.
I drill the holes for the inserts myself, using an 11mm drill. And I really need to hammer them in. Pressing them in is not an option.
Once hammered in flush to the body there is no way you get them out by pulling the studs.

This tells me Gibson/Epiphone seems to be using a drill that is too wide.
Maybe it's the old metric vs imperial issue again?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
The studs were pulling out on my Aria bass when it arrived too. I simply epoxied in every stud but the one the ground wire connected to, as I figured I might need at it at some point in time.

Presumably one of these things that should be pulled off with strict tolerances, but isn't. From memory the studs are tapered, but of course the hole isn't. A tight hole will push the stud out, and slack hole will allow the stud to Jimmy out over time. Threaded inserts would be an ideal solution, but require more skill and patience to install than simply driving a ribbed metal stud into a hole and hoping everything stays put.