Author Topic: 20th Anniversary JCS [new pics]  (Read 14026 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: 20th Anniversary JCS [new pics]
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2017, 04:09:27 AM »
What do you think is wrong with the way the Epi JCS is constructed?

There is nothing wrong with the Epiphone I guess. I can't be sure because my black JC is made in Korea. I'm just going on an overall assumption that the Koreans have better building standards and quality control compared to the Chineese. If you wouldn't buy pet food made in China, why would you want to buy a bass made there?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2017, 04:41:28 AM »
I'm reasonably confident that if they can build aircraft carriers, high speed trains and Volvos, they will come to grips with a hollow body bass too.  ;)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2017, 05:14:08 AM »
They're also capable of producing flooring made with exceedingly high amounts of cancer causing formaldehyde. Makes me think twice about breathing too deeply around a bass finished there.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2017, 08:29:11 AM »
I shouldn't worry about it too much... gets us all in the end... ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxt_GHYmolI

Those Koreans: Boeing bits and Tankers too; that and a decent line in dog sandwiches...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »
I just hope I don't have to suffer too much when my time comes. Easy enough to say but harder to prevent. It seems everything in the environment is leading to our annihilation lately. I guess I shouldn't be so picky about what causes it. Man, the news is depressing lately. At least we can enjoy playing some neat basses while we still can, regardless of their country of origin.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=54oqYyy_r_Q

Positive vibes, Dude... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2017, 04:51:26 AM »
They're also capable of producing flooring made with exceedingly high amounts of cancer causing formaldehyde. Makes me think twice about breathing too deeply around a bass finished there.

Oh my, formaldehyde, asbestos, what have you, it wasn't that long ago when stuff like that was ubiquitous in the West too. I remember yearly demonstrations of the fire brigade in our school during the 60ies where we were allowed to touch their asbestos protective suits, rub and sniff at them; when we lived in Zaire in the early 70ies, use of DDT (already outlawed in Western Europe) was widespread in (Western-produced) spray-insecticides ("Baygon" - it sure was effective too and even smelled like it wasn't good for you, not just for insects  :mrgreen: ), as late as the late seventies I worked on a construction site mounting asbestos materials - I assume those people who burned in that London highrise would have even today preferred some asbestos cladding to the one they had - and formaldehyde really didn't go out of fashion and become a health concern until the mid to late 80ies.

Countries like China are emulating our historic economic development in high speed fashion, that also means emulating some of our mistakes, but they will probably use asbestos and formaldehyde for a shorter period than we did in the past.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2017, 07:19:49 AM »
Good points Uwe. Some argue the benefits of things like DDT outweigh the risks which they say are also not established.
Here's a video of a cute Libertarian girl making the case for DDT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jZPcqWFWXA

Still, even if the basses made in Red China aren't full of formaldehyde fumes, I'd still prefer to buy American because they're not made by commies. I like to eat organic food also; however, I'd rather not shop at Whole Foods and benefit one of the richest men in the world who is also monopolising the marketplace and being subsidized by the postal service to do it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:26:28 AM by 4stringer77 »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2017, 08:28:48 AM »
How can you tell where a Jack Casady bass was made? My new one has a serial starting either 'R04I' or 'R041' followed by four numbers.

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
Mine was made in 2014 and, being new, had a sticker on the neck.

You can try looking it up here:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2017, 09:54:02 AM »
Or if you look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone#Serial_numbers_and_factory_codes you can see that an R prefix means it was manufactured by the Peerless Factory Korea.

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2017, 10:58:34 AM »
Mine was made in the Unsung Plant, Inchon.

Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »
China ain't communist and hasn't been in a long time - if ever. It's state monopoly capitalism (stamocap) - a form of economics popular in Asia irrespective of political ideology, not just China. That said, you sometimes have to squint your eyes to tell the difference from a mere oligarchy.  :rolleyes:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
Good points Uwe. Some argue the benefits of things like DDT outweigh the risks which they say are also not established.
Here's a video of a cute Libertarian girl making the case for DDT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jZPcqWFWXA

I'm still not sure I want DDT back  :mrgreen: - effective as it was! It took decades to get it out of the German eco system and it severely affected the breeding of raptors as the last ones in the food chain (as well as fish populations in our rivers as it was washed from the fields into them). That said, even without DDT Germany's insect population is down to a quarter from what it was and that is not a good thing, it is now affecting the bird population, rodents, amphibians and reptiles - anything that feeds off insects. I remember summers in the 60ies where you couldn't drive 10 miles without your windshield plastered with dead insects to the point you had to stop at a gas station and scrape them off to safely continue driving. These days you can drive from Frankfurt to Hamburg and have about four dead insects on your windshield. Intensive farming (too few plant species for insect populations to thrive), new pest resistant crops and use of pesticides are supposed to be to blame.

Zika vs. DDT. That is a bit like thalidomide vs. leprosy. Unknown to many, thalidomide is still being produced because it is a highly effective drug against leprosy in late stages in countries like Brazil. Unfortunately, leprosy-afflicted people make love to each other too and - shunning contraceptives, good Catholics they are - have children. The parents are saved from leprosy, the children suffer from thalidomide-induced birth defects (leprosy wouldn't affect them, a leper mom can have a healthy child though that will sooner or later turn into an orphan). So what do you do? Stop giving thalidomide to adults - their only availavble cure for progressed leprosy, the disease of the already wretched? That's one hellishly difficult decision to make.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:44:21 PM by uwe »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »
Uwe FTW

No need for DDT (holy moly what a bad idea); DEET works plenty fine for skeeters and is much safer (no known long term effects; some users might get a rash or headache or just don't like the smell.... personally that was the eau de toilette of my youth); for the anti-chem among us there is picaridin (apparently as effective, derived from the pepper plant family, odorless, no known health effects but newer than DEET and not as well studied) and eucalyptus (def safe, but not as long lasting).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)