Author Topic: NOS Ripper  (Read 5167 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
NOS Ripper
« on: April 19, 2017, 06:57:17 AM »
Fresh out of the box, who wants to be the first one to put a scratch in it?

https://reverb.com/item/4931461-gibson-l-9s-1975-cherry-sunburst-nos-just-unboxed

I always wonder when I see these things, who sits on something like this for 40 years without opening it? 

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: NOS Ripper
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »
Price seems reasonable to me for someone into Rippers.  Fortunately I'm not one of them. :)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
Wow. :o

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »
The pickguard screws are rusty, as are the knob pointer-washers. I assume the pickguard, pickup covers or something else has been quietly off-gassing while this has been in storage?

Either way, why are the prices on Reverb consistently insane? Case in point, this Kay 20-B bass: https://reverb.com/item/4512335-kay-k20-b-bass-guitar-early-seventies-three-colour-sunburst. Those Kay basses left the factory crappy, with crappy hardware and crappy electronics. They were cheap basses for kids to bang around on for a few months before they bought a serious bass. Everything on Reverb that can tick the 'vintage' box is now atrociously overpriced. I personally would buy one of those basses if one showed up at a far lower price, but this current fetishism for old and decrepit off-brand gear is maddening.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:09:00 PM »
Goodness me... does make you wonder... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »
This one is reasonably priced for what it is, and Strait Music is very reputable. They aren't a vintage store, which may be why they aren't asking that high a price for it. My biggest concern would be to make sure the neck is straight. About a dozen years ago I saw a NOS Gibson IV that had been in a box in a small town shop that had gone out of business. The offgassing damage wasn't a surprise, but the neck had developed a noticeable hump in the 10th-12th fret area.

On the whole, I don't find prices on Reverb any more outrageous than on eBay or in many vintage shops. I've bought two basses on Reverb (one vintage) and both were real bargains.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:43:29 AM »
Given the rarity of the finish and the NOS factor I think the price is pretty good, albeit more than I would ever pay.  The only other legit Cherry-Burst's I've seen have been the earlier body style and there were only a few of those made.   I prefer my instruments a little beat to start just so I don't feel bad the first time I bump in to something or feel guilty getting it dirty.

My 79 had a strap like that in the case when I got it.  I had always assumed it was something the previous owner had bought, not that it actually came with it.  I guess I should try to find it...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 06:25:37 AM »
On the whole, I don't find prices on Reverb any more outrageous than on eBay or in many vintage shops. I've bought two basses on Reverb (one vintage) and both were real bargains.

I agree, & in most cases you can make an offer. I try to make reasonable offers & they usually have been accepted.

Sweet bass, but you sort of wonder where it was stored for the last 40 plus years.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 07:40:30 AM »
Seems pretty reasonable for what it is. I wonder if they'd have sold more if that was a standard color? Looks great.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »
I like a little flame in a cherry burst. The Alan Woody article Dave shared got me thinking about 5 string Les Paul basses. Like finding hen's teeth but here's one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Bass-Guitar-USA-5-String-RARE-/112374232221?hash=item1a2a06b49d:g:n2EAAOSwWxNY1YbI
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 08:19:50 AM »
I'm not sure whether I like that type of clownburst, but it is rare on a Ripper. Worth it if you are in love with that fin, but I'd take a close look at the electronic innards that might have suffered under the pickguard gassing too.

I've seen more humps on Grabbers and G-3s than on Rippers, those three piece necks are very stable.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »
I love the original Monel Flatwound strings that would come on these.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »
In the meanwhile the bass was sold...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »
In the meanwhile the bass was sold...

...I'm surprised it took that long.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »
Anyone here...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...