Author Topic: RIP j. geils  (Read 1282 times)

nofi

• View Profile
RIP j. geils
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:42:30 PM »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: RIP j. geils
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 05:08:59 AM »
Great band. RIP J.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:49:29 AM »
The J. Geils Band was to me one of the quintessential East Coast Yank bands with one of the greatest front men: Peter Wolf. I understand that they had been touring without their name giver for quite some time, J. Geils to the J. Geils Band was a bit like Spencer Davis to the Spencer Davis Group: Not really the most important member, neither in the songwriting department (Justman and Wolf did the writing, I'm not aware of J. Geils himself ever having written anything), nor instrumentally (Justman's keyboards amd Magic Dick's harp dominated the sound). But it says a lot for him that he gave Wolf, Magic Dick and Justman the foil to do their thing, he was a very band-serving lead guitarist. Have fun in your new sanctuary which in J. Geils' case will probably be a garage with classic cars!

I have very fond memories of the band around 1980 in a club in Germany - pre-Centerfold they had a strong live reputation in Germany due to the Rockpalast show linked above, but didn't sell a lot of records - and they really cooked: four encores! The last one even after the house lights went up and people began to reluctantly leave, Wolf storming the stage with a towel, grabbing the mike stand James Brown style while falling to his knees and yelling "Wamma jamma!!!" one more time before tearing into yet another one of their turbo-charged rhythm 'n' blues songs.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:54:32 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 06:57:40 AM »
To give J himself some due props apart from the band: He played some great classic riffs.  "Houseparty" springs to mind. As does the incredibly simple but incredibly effective intro to "Love Stinks".
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »
He passed away at his home in Groton Massachusetts. This is the second time someone from a famous rock band died near where I live. Brad Delp the lead singer of Boston a few years back and also Stephen Tyler's dad passed away in an assisted living home in Nashua. The J. Geils band will always remain to be a New England institution and "Give it to Me" will always be one of the more fun to tunes to jam.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:21:46 AM »
Hey now ... let's have a live version of that early reggae by a white band ... with a nice terse solo of J. (of German descent, no less!) around the 3:35 mark, one of his more rare lengthy ones.

I always wonder why they weren't huge, Peter Wolf was such a cool frontman, the band shit-tight, their music infectuous without being bludgeoning. Wikipedia says that their success was allegedly limited by being "too white for the black kids and too black for the whites", I never thought about it like that, it would give them the same fate as Mothers Finest then.

"Teresa" was a lovely ballad of theirs, why that never had more airplay is beyond me.

And when Freeze Frame (the album) and Centerfold (the song) elevated them in popularity late in their career, with Peter Wolf looking suitably MTV-photogenic (plus Seth Justman's pretty boy curly hair-rockstar looks) and a tour with the Rolling Stones taking them around the world to huge audiences, they broke up!  :o

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:52:22 AM by uwe »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
We've been doing this one live for the past year or two... so fun:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
I always loved Wolf's lanky moves.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 04:06:44 AM »
One of my favorite shows of all time was getting to sit on the lawn at Merriweather Post Pavilion and see J. Geils Band open for the Talking Heads.
J. Geils joined them onstage for the encore and it was amazing.

I was introduced to J. Geils when Bloodshoot appeared and probably still have that 8-track somewhere in a box.  They were a cool band.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.