Author Topic: RIP Allen Holdsworth  (Read 1137 times)

ilan

• View Profile
RIP Allen Holdsworth
« on: April 16, 2017, 12:01:20 PM »
Guitarist Allen Holdsworth has passed today. He was one of my favorite musicians.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:58:19 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Re: RIP Allen Holdsworth
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »
I was shocked to see the news. A truly unique player who really was one of a kind as he never sounded like anyone  but himself. Ollie Halsall maybe and vice versa but even that comparison is stretching it and I mean that as a compliment to both. For some real early seventies guitar hero stuff try Tempest's BBC Live from 1973 with both men playing out of this world

I love his work with Tony Williams ("Believe It" is a great and raw fusion album), Nucleus, Gong, Soft Machine, Bruford and especially UK. His solo in "In The Dead Of Night" is the one that made my jaw drop when I heard it for the first time. Still has the same effect.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 11:14:54 PM »
Allan Holdsworth have inspired me more than any bass player I can think of. I still remember when a friend of mine brought over IOU when we were 17 or so. His limitless approach to music made us realize that you can actually play everything you are able to imagine.

Thanks for everything, sweet prince.

Thanks for making so many of us dare to take a step beyond, bringing life to the most amazing fairy tales of Music, and reaching for the uncommon chord. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:23:44 PM by amptech »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 08:14:14 AM »
RIP Mr. Holdsworth. Your playing was inspiring and truly original. You were a true, uncompromising artist.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
2017... stack 'em and rack 'em... rip...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
I bought Metal Fatigue when it came out - I found his playing to be quite amazing. He'll be missed for sure.

P.S. Jimmy Johnson was no slouch either....
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 12:03:44 PM »
Something relatively current here:

I read in the UK Box Set booklet that Holdsworth disliked playing to larger audiences, "anything above a few hundred people he was clearly uncomfortable with". That of course collided with where Jobson and Wetton wanted to take UK, hence Holdsworth's departure after the debut album.

I liked his fluid, spheric sound, never a shredder, he had the knack of playing guitar as if it was a Fender Rhodes.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...