Author Topic: Jerome Rimson's Rickenbacker...or is it?  (Read 7210 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Jerome Rimson's Rickenbacker...or is it?
« on: April 06, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
Jerome Rimson played with Phil Lynott in the early eighties and mainly used this modified Ric:

Or is it Ric at all? Lemmy had a similar bass too or more likely used the very same instrument.

Looks like it has a third pickup at the bridge end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAxaGkdiBvM

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Jerome Rimson's Rickenbacker...or is it?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:14:23 PM »
Jerome can be seen playing it here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzXGaCs1LRM

I'm sure I've seen a discussion about this bass somewhere before. I've seen the Lemmy picture before. Either way the bass looks massively reworked, be it a faker or an original. Looks like it gained a new headstock with a backward angle, and some luthier really wanted to show off their chops with the wooden pickguard. The other mods are very much of the era, with the Badass bridge and the Bartolini neck pickup.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 01:19:35 AM »
The check bindings look very Rick and I think there isn't a third pickup but just a damper like on the original Rick bridge

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 03:54:31 AM »
I'm not convinced it is the dampener for a couple of reasons. Firstly the height adjusters are removed, and the teeth are missing from the mute slot. It doesn't look like an original Rickenbacker bridge, just an approximation of the front of one made from brass to fit with the Badass bridge. Secondly, because the other pickups look like Bartolinis it is possible that the mute slot has a Bart in there as well, as they made a dedicated Rickenbacker mute pickup:

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Woodgrain in the center of the pickguard looks identical.  Its either the same bass or the worlds first "photo-flame"

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »
Back of the headstock is very Alembic-like. Body looks like a real Ric. Maybe a Ric that got a new fingerboard and headstock???

Jerome Rimson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »
Hello Friends, Jerome Rimson here!! Yes this is my bass! I bought it from Stars Guitars San Francisco in 1977. I had just moved back to America from london England after joining Automatic Man featuring Pat Thrall gtr. Micheal Shrieve Drums and Bayete' Todd Cochran Keyboards. The bass was customised by the guy's from Alembic guitars and featured Hi A Bartolini pickups wired to a 5pin cannon jack lead that could process each of the 3 pickups to separate amplifiers if you choose to do so. I recorded the Automatic Man Visitors album with this bass also used it when recordind Ghost of A Smile with Freddie Mercury & Brian May, it was also used on the recording I made with Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy on his solo project's and on the Gas Tank television show I did with Rick Wakeman of Yes! The Bass was stolen in London after I returned to England following the breakup of Automatic Man. I found out years later that Lemmy of MotorHead had the the instrument, by that time it had been modified to Lemmy's needs and totally unsuited to my style of playing. As much as I respected Lemmy as a musician the bass was designed for a much more versatile application. I would love to get the bass back and restore it to it's beautiful state!   J. M. Rimson

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 03:45:05 AM »
Welcome to the Outpost Jerome!
And thank you for enlightening us on that special Rickenbacker.

If you have some more stories to share, please do.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »
What an epic story. Wonder if Lemmy himself lifted your bass Jerome, lol!
Was it still in his estate at the time of his passing does anyone know? I'm rooting for you to get the bass back too. Good luck.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 05:33:09 AM »
Madcap theory, but I wonder if the addition of the bridge mute-slot pickup in this modified Rickenbacker was the catalyst for Lemmy's signature bass being built with three pickups, with one right down at the bridge?

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 07:40:24 AM »
Mystery solved! Thanks Jerome!

And while you're here...

Did you play fretless bass on Thin Lizzy's "Fats" (Renegade 1981)? There's no credit in the sleeve but you played fretless on his solo albums on songs like "Solo In Soho" and at that time only Phil Lynott seemed to know which song went to his solo albums and which to Lizzy. "Fats" is definitely one more suited to his solo albums but went to Lizzy instead.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »
Oh my, the guy from Automatic Man!!! Here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_OIBShTlaE

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 02:44:05 AM »
I have taken the liberty to post a link to this thread, with the post of mr. Rimson, on the Rickresource forum. A friend of mine is already informing Lemmy fans:)

tonewheels

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
Hi Jerome

I saw you with that bass in Reading University with Chappo back in around 78/79.

Cracking gig with Geoff Whitehorn, Mel Collins and Tim Hinckley.

I cornered one of the roadies about the bass after the gig and he told me it was an Alembic modified Rick. Didn't quite believe such an instrument could exist. Really tight funky sound.

Your playing on Live in Hamburg became a bit of a touchstone for my formative bass playing years, along with Jaco, Bernard Edwards, Norman Watt Roy and Tex Comer (of Ace).

40 years on and that top five still hasn't changed. Thank you!