Author Topic: Just Coming In  (Read 7065 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Just Coming In
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 06:45:15 AM »
"When the Pit imploded a number of folks went to Badassbassplayers. I hung there for a while, at least until my former job blocked access at work, so that was that."

A euphemism ("former job"), no doubt, I told you he was in prison!  :rimshot:

A G&L owner, u-hum!!! Very "dudepity". What is a "Moses neck", nothing that divides the Red Sea, is it?

The guys at Badassplayers were nice, but it wasn't really a forum with a Gibson focus, not that every forum has to be. To this day, I've never signed up with Talkbass, much less posted something there, too large for me. That said, I sometimes wish we had a couple of 16-year-olds here, even if they ask naive things, we all did at a time, it freshens things up. But I guess we have a very "old school/old men" image here, probably because the music tastes of most members were shaped in the 60ies/70ies, early 80ies.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:57:31 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 07:09:48 AM »
When I got the bass it had an '84 L2K neck on it that needed some work. It was playable but to make it really right meant a refret/FB planing (correction for a slight twist). I decided to keep it and I got some cash back from the seller. So it kinda went into limbo for some years.

Last year I got a pretty good bonus and rather than get something new I decided to resurrect this one.
By the time I'd get all the necessary work done to the existing neck the cost would be very close to a new one. For those that have tried to find a loose G&L neck you know how rarely they show up.

Enter Moses Graphite.

http://mosesgraphite.com/

They manufacture their own version of graphite necks and are the only ones that make a direct replacement
for G&L. I've read that their necks are relatively "warm" sounding so I am anxious to hear how it works with the MFD pickups.

As for G&L's this would be my second. I have a '99 ASAT (in gold flake - very blingy) that I really like and figured I'd go with an L2K to complement it.

I only have one Gibson at this point - '96 LP bass (LPB-2 Premium), and an Epi Casady. I'm still in an ongoing pickup hunt for the LP. My next stop down the line will be a set of Alumitones I snagged.

I've accumulated an "acceptable" (read "way more than I need" according to wifey) number of basses over the years, gone through twice as many. At this point GAS percolates softly in the background - not the roaring beast it used to be that needed constant feeding. The occasional tidbit is more than enough to keep me relatively subdued.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:15:11 AM by bassilisk »
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:20 AM »
Welcome to Lord Of The Flies with middle-aged men. Uwe has the conch.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 09:16:47 AM »
Welcome to Lord Of The Flies with middle-aged men. Uwe has the conch.

Wow - what an utterly apt and succinct description, I bow my head in admiration!

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 09:33:12 AM »
Time to blow the conch Uwe.....

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »
Welcome from another G&L owner  8)This is the happy place for Gibson players.

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 10:35:25 AM »
Welcome from another G&L owner  8)This is the happy place for Gibson players.

I'm afraid the bulk of my herd are Fender types with a smattering of others for diversity.

Looks like I'll have to ramp up my Gibson contingent again to hang successfully then.

Come and gone:
'74 LP Triumph
'76 EB-3
'76 G-3
'77 RD Artist
'78 TBird
'02 TBird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
It's never too late to make good on your mistakes and shed your old skin, scaly one!

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 11:02:26 AM »
Unfortunately the only place left where I need to shed with regularity is my waistline.....

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »
Wow - what an utterly apt and succinct description, I bow my head in admiration!

I'm the one in girl clothes - not in the picture  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
I'm afraid the bulk of my herd are Fender types with a smattering of others for diversity.

Looks like I'll have to ramp up my Gibson contingent again to hang successfully then.

I have a '64 EB-0; otherwise I'm not sure the cool kids here would play with me.

But I have four Gretsch basses...including the Ultimate Cougar Bass...so perhaps my wackiness doesn't fall far from the group.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »
As a fellow G&L owner all I can sat is  8)
And I remember you from the Pit and BABP

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »
I've made fun of G&L's headstock in the past.

Then I heard an L-1000 being played and went looking for one. Figured all I'd find was an early one with the old headstock, then I came across a screaming deal on a mint 2014. Now I can still make fun of the headstock but if you make fun of me, I'll hit you with the pointy part.   8)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
Welcome Bassilisk! I was invited to the dudepit when Steve Barr bought a tuck and roll Kustom head from me on ebay.

I was invited here when the dudepit folded, which was right in the middle of the Bachbird project which Rob did an outstanding job of bringing together.

And speaking of old times I found for sale a bass I sold on ebay a long, long time ago.
 https://reverb.com/item/3868590-vintage-1986-gibson-iv-4-string-electric-bass-with-strap-ohsc
And no, it is not coming back to me.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
I forgot the bachbird had Pit origins? I though it was here!

Some cool things happened on the pit. I still want a Lakland DPLE even if it was somehow connected to the forum imploding. (I missed the whole thing)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy