Author Topic: Just Coming In  (Read 7095 times)

bassilisk

• View Profile
Just Coming In
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:31:51 AM »
Hi everyone! I am new as of today.

Funny thing. I searched for some bass info and got a hit here. Imagine my surprise when I see names I remember
from The Dudepit!!! It's been a long time since I've been around you guys.

I had no idea this Forum was around or I would've got here sooner. Anyway....

I live in News York City and I still gig regularly with my cover band. We're pretty flexible so we're not pigeon holed
into one genre. Standards, Oldies, 60's, 70's & 80's Rock, Disco....a broad palette that gets us a wide variety of gigs.
Here's a link to our site: http://www.risky-biz.com

I'll be stopping by regularly :)

Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Just Coming In
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
Welcome (back)!

I remember your name from the Dudepit days.  :toast:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 07:05:18 AM »
What took you so long?  ;D

We're The Island of Lost Dudepit Souls here.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 07:07:55 AM »
Shall we put him into the reptile thread, you think? Apparently, he can walk on water.

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
Hah!!! The Island Of Lost Dudepit Souls!! You guys are still a rip. I'm glad you kept it together.

I did go through a reptile phase though. Wifey drew the line with snakes, but I had some lizards (my favorite was a Tokay Gecko) and a couple of tarantulas for variety. I had one Mexican Red Leg for 17 years - became a member of the family so to speak.

Have to Photoshop the basilisk holding a bass......

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »

Welcome back, welcome here. I remember your username, so, I'm not as far gone as most would have you think.

Electric trains..........Now there's something to chat about, esp since Uwe has been covering the "Love that dare not speak it's name" so well of late.  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
Not to mention model trains, WWII aircraft, and WWII tanks being dragged out of bogs.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »
"... my favorite was a Tokay Gecko ..."

Fierce little beasts with alligator eyes that can never be tamed and bite - ouch! I have more than a handful, they are the health police of my terrarium at night and keep the insect population at bay.

I'm not allowed to keep snakes either!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »

Welcome back, welcome here. I remember your username, so, I'm not as far gone as most would have you think.

Electric trains..........Now there's something to chat about, esp since Uwe has been covering the "Love that dare not speak it's name" so well of late.  ;D

Sssh, do not instill fear in him just yet I cry!

You know how we lost the last dozen or so new members.

Young Master Bassilisk, though we are not treated with guests very often here, we do enjoy having them ...

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:35:32 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 01:54:55 PM »
I remember your name too. It's been a long time.

Tokay Gecko? Hadn't heard of that before. Anything like a Tokai Hard Puncher?  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »
Voilà!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_gecko

And in Florida even an illegal alien. Established colonies there. Walls don't help, they cling to them and won't pay either. They mate like hell too.

Adult animals can reach a length (including head and tail) of a foot or more which is huge for a gecko. They're (pleasantly) noisy too, they have a loud croak which sounds a bit like "tokk-kay"- hence the name. Edith always loves it when ours start doing that - they only do it once or twice a night (and by far not every night) for a few minutes at the most. But you can hear it well through the thick terrarium glass and throughout the apartment. Our guests are sometimes startled.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:43:29 PM by uwe »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »
Hi Bassilisk! I think I remember that name from the 'pit too.

A bunch of the same cast of characters here. Nothing much changed... we still find a way to turn every thread into either Deep Purple or WWII airplanes, with a bit of cross-dressing thrown in ... and we still manage to (mostly) avoid political arguments!

Me, I came to the 'pit like ten or fifteen years ago researching a custom bass project I wanted to make... I was inspired by the sound and look of non-rev Thunderbirds so I wanted to learn more about Gibson basses.  I still never had that thing built  :rolleyes: ...  basically I had a kid instead ... but I'm still here!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 08:10:47 PM »
Welcome aboard! I remember your username as well. I'm glad you found us.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 02:53:37 AM »
I assume Bassilisk was probably doing time all these years and you know how internet access is still problematic in many correctional facilities. But let's not dwell on that here.  8) We should welcome our bruddah back wholeheartedly!

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 04:34:54 AM »
Wow! Thank you all for the warm welcome. I did look through the member roll and I recognize quite a few familiars. Very cool indeed.

Uwe - that Tokay was just the coolest thing. I just loved the "alien-ness" of it. Amazing creatures for sure.

Historical recap:
-My first contact with Steve Barr was to purchase a John East preamp (first generation). No Pit at this point.
I had him get me one with a black control plate and gold knobs which matched the original color scheme on this Jazz.
Ended up selling it to a Pit member.

-Next thing I know there's a Forum, and it was my first experience being part of one. Once I got my bearings I have to say that,
other than a few AH's (typical for any Forum), I found a lot of cool people and a wealth of ready knowledge available.
A lot of actual experts. That's you guys -  plus a friendly vibe.

-When the Pit imploded a number of folks went to Badassbassplayers. I hung there for a while, at least until my former job blocked access
at work, so that was that. I sit in front of a machine all day and the last thing I feel like doing is going home and doing it some more.
So that fell away.

-Other than lurking in a couple of brand specific hangs I found myself mostly at Talkbass (sigh) :sad:. Again, there are some very knowledgeable
folks there and I got some real help when I needed it, but at the cost of seeing "What color PG should I get?" or "Help me pick a strap.." ad nauseum.
You all know the chaff that accompanies the occasional bits of wheat. I don't need bass advice from a 16 year old.

And now, by a very broad stroke of luck, I find this place. I Googled "Jack Casady Case" and found a hit here.

So I'm back through the looking glass, in a place at once brand new and yet familiar. I know I'm going to like it here.

P.S. Today I'm picking up my '81 G&L 'Hog L2K on which I mounted a Moses neck and had a new G&L pre installed.
It's been 4 months in the making between acquiring parts and final assembly. I will post separately about it after I grok it for a while.  :mrgreen:
Something completely different! At least, for me!