Author Topic: Höfner is again making a large bodied fully hollow bass - 500/18  (Read 5537 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Höfner is again making a large bodied fully hollow bass - 500/18
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
First of all, Cimar J's are great basses, far better than what their market price would lead you to assume.

Ironic that Cimar instruments are a bit neglected as they are Ibanez! You can pay X for an old Ibanez Blazer or Y for the Cimar version. All because of a headstock decal...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »
Chris, your overtly germanophile leanings worry me deeply.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »

First of all, Cimar J's are great basses, far better than what their market price would lead you to assume.

Now about the Höfners. I had image issues with the 500/1 - didn't want to look like a fan - and it's not a good bass imho. But the 60s large-body Höfners are different. They are the best hollow body basses I know. They have fantastic acoustic qualities. Really. If you had played one note on my 1960 500/3 you'd be smitten.

As for Hoyer, Klira and Framus, most of them were junk, in my experience. For years I wanted a red Hoyer London bass because it's so cute, until I actually played one and the GAS has evaporated.

To me, the Höfner just never looked "rock", to this day I prefer a Ric, a WAL or even a Yamaha in the hands of Paul McCartney.

Of course not all the German instruments were junk - people like Jan Akkerman played them after all and he could have played anything. But to us in Germany they had no rock'n'roll - an Angloamerican invention - allure, while anything American was deemed cool, British guitars like Burns were at least considered cult'ish and even the Hos from our former Axis friends in the Pacific had the benefit of an exotic aura.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »
Ah, another post war collective syndrome; selbstgroytuer.   :mrgreen:
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 07:06:27 PM »
Don't knock Klira, or godofthunder's wrath will descend upon you.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 03:15:29 AM »
I'll think about the Waffen SS.

I guess every bass has it's charm. I never played a Höfner on stage with my former rock band the La La Lies, but on the other hand: a Thunderbird with my acoustic bass ukulele duo would e a bit too much.

The problem with the big cheap European brands of the sixties and seventies is the diversity in series. Like Uwe said: Framus made cheap beginner's stuff but also high quality stuff like the Akkerman. Same with Höfner: big, gold hardware, fancy inlay, fancy woodworks archtops versus the vinyl covered solid bodies. Same with Dutch Egmond. I guess most people could afford only the cheap ones and have bad memories.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »
There was something very post-war about them. And while the famous American models were introduced at the same time or even earlier, they had something grandiose about them. Playing a Framus or Höfner (and no one I knew in Germany did so voluntarily) was really like being stuck with a Volkswagen Beetle when all you craved for was a tail fin Buick. There was a reason why all these companies went broke in the 70ies and beyond.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 12:50:29 AM »
I would agree that solid body Höfners were junk, they were poorly designed low-grade Fender-influenced guitars. But the hollow-bodies were different. Nobody else made basses with violin-family construction. Gibson's EB2 looked similar but had a center block and sounded very different (you know what I think about their sound. And they definitely don't rock). The Senator, President, Committee, 500/3, 500/5 basses didn't look rock'n'roll - but you can say the same about a burst Les Paul. So it's an image thing.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »
Hofners and VW Beetles being criticized in the same thread.  That's too harsh for this early in the morning. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 07:53:58 AM »
Of course everybody wanted a Fender or Gibson like The Americans.

Still there's something stylish, European and sophisticated about hollow European guitars and basses. Let's say a P versus a Verithin is Corvette or 'Stang (*) versus BMW 507, Austin Healy, ...

(*) Chevrolet Corvette and Ford Mustang; not Warwick Corvette and Fender Mustang.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
Whose verithin then?
Louder bass!.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 02:24:53 AM »
Not the ugly Healey Sprite with the frog eyes. The normal Healey is one of the prettiest cars around.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 07:48:21 AM »
It was largely image, true. And what you saw on the record covers and at live concerts.

I have a Höfner 500/1 (and a Framus and a Hoyer) myself, it's a construction all of its own with a sound all of its own. It's a joy to play, but as a 16 year old in 1977 you would have broken my heart forcing me to play one where people could see me with it!  :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 10:04:50 AM »
Not the ugly Healey Sprite with the frog eyes. The normal Healey is one of the prettiest cars around.

Semi-officially known as the "Bug-Eye Sprite".  Great, classic sports car that operationally is the epitome of the saying "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
To me, the Höfner just never looked "rock", to this day I prefer a Ric, a WAL or even a Yamaha in the hands of Paul McCartney.

Of course not all the German instruments were junk - people like Jan Akkerman played them after all and he could have played anything. But to us in Germany they had no rock'n'roll - an Angloamerican invention - allure, while anything American was deemed cool, British guitars like Burns were at least considered cult'ish and even the Hos from our former Axis friends in the Pacific had the benefit of an exotic aura.

I like all those brands.  Also, under the right conditions I think they can all look rock.  But in terms of just sound, whether in the studio or on stage, I think Paul McCartney sounded the best playing a Ric. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal