Author Topic: NR Tbird with interesting mod  (Read 1783 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
NR Tbird with interesting mod
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:51:55 AM »
This Non Reverse Thunderbird on Ebay has the original bridge relocated under an angle to get proper intonation.
Simple yet effective.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Thunderbird-2-Non-Reverse-MOD-Used-w-Hard-case-/182486162396?hash=item2a7d05dbdc:g:L7gAAOSwxEpYxNVJ

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: NR Tbird with interesting mod
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:10:27 AM »
Denis had his modded the same way...but it also narrows the string spacing. 

There's enough travel if you reverse the E and A saddles and move the whole bridge forward .25 inches.  Which is what Peter Cook did with Entwistles FenderBirds (and Ken's bass). 

I do the same thing with my bridges, which are slightly wider because of the adjustable height saddle carriers.

All Gibson had to do was put the thing in the right place.  And they couldn't be bothered to correct it even when they switched to the NR.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:16:51 AM by dadagoboi »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:21:44 AM »
Huh, that mod is so old and widely practiced? My first Non Rev already had that from the pre-owner. What else could you do if you wanted the thing to properly intonate and no Dasson Technolgies bridge yet around?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:13:04 AM »
I had no idea that Gibson produced a series of basses with the bridge essentially in the wrong place to achieve intonation...

Or at least, I think that's what this amounts to???   :-\
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:44:44 AM »
Looks like some extra ventilation to keep those electronics cool as well.  :mrgreen:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »
Huh, that mod is so old and widely practiced? My first Non Rev already had that from the pre-owner. What else could you do if you wanted the thing to properly intonate and no Dasson Technolgies bridge yet around?

Move the entire bridge one quarter inch forward and reverse the E and A string saddles...like Peter Cook did for Entwistle's FenderBirds and Ken's PC.  Oh, wait I already said that.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »
I had no idea that Gibson produced a series of basses with the bridge essentially in the wrong place to achieve intonation...

Or at least, I think that's what this amounts to???   :-\

It's exactly what they did. Reputedly, the first TBirds were equipped with flatwounds so phat, the placement of the bridge was just right. By the time they noticed that this might create issues with other strings, the Revs was already facing deletion. Which of course did not keep them from repeating the misplacement on the Non Revs!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
Yeah, this was a common mod.  The first 60s bird I ever saw IRL (Rev) had it, with the original bushing hole unfilled (except by random detritus accumulated over time); insane amounts of pick damage and half the finish worn off in general.  Price was more than what a mint one was worth (this was back in the dudepit days so I had a decent grasp of the value from you nutters).  I  decided to never go to that store again (they had a stupidly overpriced EB0 or 3 at the same time).  Wish I had remembered that - just last year I tried to get an amp from them and ended up backing away really quick as they started with the shenanigans.  That amp is still on Reverb a year later at more than double the original price (the original price was and is still  the high end of fair market value for this amp).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 03:59:56 PM »
Do you mean this one Carlo.. ?

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
Do you mean this one Carlo.. ?

You own another?  Or was I hallucinating about the flipped saddles on yours?  It's been known to happen.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 08:35:59 AM »
It's exactly what they did. Reputedly, the first TBirds were equipped with flatwounds so phat, the placement of the bridge was just right. By the time they noticed that this might create issues with other strings, the Revs was already facing deletion. Which of course did not keep them from repeating the misplacement on the Non Revs!  :mrgreen:

Hah!!  Clearly, this indicates the goodness and general correctness of flatwound strings.  ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »

Hah!!  Clearly, this indicates the goodness and general correctness of flatwound strings.  ;)

That's a BS theory IMO.  I install flats and rounds of different diameters on the same basses at least once a month.  There's very little variation in intonation points, no matter what the gauge.  Gibson just screwed up, then as now, because of ineptitude or apathy.  There were similar problems with the original guitar tuneamatics  IIRC.

Even the three point bridge on Bicentennials is mispositioned.  Intonating the E requires moving the saddle to almost maximum length leaving silk or rough wire on the saddle.  Moving the whole thing back 1/2" would have fixed that.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »
Your thesis may be correct, but personally I have seen significant differences in intonation points between string gauges and brands.  ... not 1/2" mind you but
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 02:14:29 PM »
I agree with Carlo. Very little difference regardless of what type of outer wrap or which brand.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »
You own another?  Or was I hallucinating about the flipped saddles on yours?  It's been known to happen.

Rest easy Don Patti, it is the same one... and the saddles are flipped for E and A... and the slight bridge move to get them intonated too... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...