Author Topic: Gibson's financial troubles -- updated  (Read 6924 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson's financial troubles -- updated
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:16:31 AM »
Gibson refinances several obligations

S&P Global Ratings says there's a "material refinancing risk" with $375 million in secured senior notes coming due in 18 months and have changed the company's outlook to negative. Total debt is $512 million.

Maybe -- just maybe -- secured debtors will take controlling ownership in return for debt and force Henry J. out.

In the meantime, here's the latest example of Gibson promoting itself as a lifestyle brand.  :puke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGlhhoEx5PI&feature=youtu.be

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson's financial troubles -- updated
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:25:35 AM »
You shouldn't steal from the dead. Especially if it's done as lamely as Gibson has.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »
In the meantime, here's the latest example of Gibson promoting itself as a lifestyle brand.  :puke:

Good. F*cking. Grief.

While I don't advocate violence towards women, the look on that ginger's face at the 57 second mark just made want to punch her in the throat.  'I has a guitar!  I has a guitaaaaar!'  Same goes that bloke with the blue 335.
The future I come from no longer exists.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »
You would think in this day and age that some one posting a video to you tube would know to shoot it in landscape mode.

And Uwe, that video would be much better viewed at a higher resolution than 360p.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »

While I don't advocate violence towards women, the look on that ginger's face at the 57 second mark just made want to punch her in the throat.

Sounds to me like that's exactly what you're advocating.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
Naw, I'm with him, call it "exertion of light physical educational/correctional measures against sheer dumbness and bad taste". That is plain horrible - even at real fashion shows where instruments are only props they do it better than this. And I'm not even complaining about the girls and the blond guy obviously not being able to play or even hold a guitar properly - that can have its charm as witnessed in the Robert Palmer vid. The choreography is below high school fashion volunteer class.

It's meanwhile become a clichée, but if you want to combine models, catwalks, rock star chic and a couple of instruments, then watch a George Michael or a Lenny Kravitz video first and work from there. Or this here, it was only 25 years ago today:

Alternatively, get Karl Lagerfeld to help you if you want to do that lifestyle brand thing seriously. But don't embarrass yourself and your product.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
Hmmm - nothing with black hardware...  :popcorn:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 02:06:23 PM »

S&P Global Ratings says there's a "material refinancing risk" with $375 million in secured senior notes coming due in 18 months and have changed the company's outlook to negative. Total debt is $512 million.

Maybe -- just maybe -- secured debtors will take controlling ownership in return for debt and force Henry J. out.

At least they spared us the embarrassment of prancing around with a Gibson bass.............
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
What they needed was someone to jump up and preform a Who on the Smothers Brothers show guitar deconstruction.
Louder bass!.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
You shouldn't steal from the dead. Especially if it's done as lamely as Gibson has.

I have always considered this video one of the most brilliant packaging and marketing jobs ever done. Take a simple, straightforward number, put five beautiful bra-less women with slicked-down hair and white makeup with brilliant red lips on the screen dancing. Stand in front, sing.

Reminds me of one definition of advertising (paraphrased): "An attractive girl holding, using, or standing next to, the object to be sold."

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »
I guess this means no one wants to talk about Gibson's financial situation.

I'll just post this again.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 08:40:50 PM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 03:04:07 AM »
Oh shucks, when eveyone wants to talk about the models, Dave is adamant to hold economics class ...  :-\

Well, at least Gibson are still in a position to secure refinancing deals. I had feared they were already beyond that point. The overall debt is still oppressive.

I'm not worried about the guitar business though - Gibson USA and Epiphone as the low budget outlet will always find a buyer, those are established brandnames and Gibson instruments have an own identity and a grand heritage. It is everything else in the Gibson kingdom of companies that should be worried. What I rule out is that should Gibson ever be put under administration that there will be a white knight to buy it all. People will be looking for the tenderloin and the group will be torn to shreds.

Back to the girls: Robert Palmer knew his limits. Great singer and songwriter that he was, he felt incredibly uncomfortable on stage and it always showed. He didn't like touring (he jumped ship on the Power Station tour, they had to do Band Aid without him), he liked being creative in the studio. I remember a TV live show with him

and it was painful to watch - he had zero stage presence, was unable to move to the music (astonishing for someone with as good a rhythmic feel in his singing and playing, he liked to play bass too), but never sang a bum note. Like a shy accountant dragged on stage to debut a song at some corporate event.  I guess he probably tried/was advised to pattern hiimself after an 80ies Bowie - it didn't work at all. Putting him in front of a couple of 80ies model goddesses was his best bet and it sure worked with that iconic video.

Ironically, he left Vinegar Joe (where he sang and played guitar) in the early seventies because he constantly felt overshadowed by Elkie Brooks' Tina Turner impersonations (Elkie sure had no issues connecting with an audience), yet once on his own he could never fill the shoes of a frontman credibly.

I still like his music a lot though. He had other strengths and most of his work has aged well, unlike a lot of other 80ies singers, he never oversang. Pity about the coke addiction doing him in years after he had given up the habit - your heart muscle never forgets.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:10:03 AM by uwe »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 07:03:34 AM »
Some sweet axes in that vinegar joe vid. Bet that's an original late 50s Precision with the anodized guard and the NR firebird was cool to see as well.
I think Dangerfield had grave's disease but Henry J might just be legitimately bonkers.
*Grave's disease is also why Heino wore the shades.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:32:18 AM by 4stringer77 »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 08:07:43 AM »
OMG, someone who knows Heino here!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No refuge is safe these days!