Author Topic: Tom Peterson's mystery 4-string  (Read 3418 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Tom Peterson's mystery 4-string
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:24:40 PM »
This 4-string simple looking bass has bugged me for years. It seems he used it circa 1979:

It also looks a bit wrong being a sort of modern looking bass with a pointy headstock and neck-through construction, at least when compared to other more vintage and "cool" looking 4-string basses he used on stage at the time (T-Birds, '55 P-Bass, Fender Bass V).

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Tom Peterson's mystery 4-string
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »
I would guess it's something he picked up in Japan. Aria? The bridge looks familiar.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

cheyenne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »
Looks like a vintage Westone Thunder bass.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 03:05:44 AM »
Thanks for the answers, Aria or Westone or something out of Matsumoko could be the right answer.  He also occasionally used a Greco EB-8 eight string bass at that time.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »
Thanks for the answers, Aria or Westone or something out of Matsumoko could be the right answer.  He also occasionally used a Greco EB-8 eight string bass at that time.

Everything I have seen agrees with a Matsumoku origin. That one screams it. Nice look, too!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »
Vantage VS Series bass? They seem to come with a mix of hardware, including some with 3-point Gibson-style bridges. Not seen any with a switch below the controls, but it could be series/parallel for the pickup? Probably OEM Dimarzios onboard.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »
My absolute wildcard guess is a non-production Hondo Professional II model. The second image appears to show a bass with this headstock:

I once owned one of these in black. It was killer heavy and a bit of a diver, but sounded pretty nice. Hondo seem to have done Professional II guitars with that thru-neck appearance, and basses with a broadly similar control layout when they built instruments under license from SD Curlee. If Hondo were like Memphis, another Matsumoku brand, then the instruments aren't necessarily thru-neck even if they look it. That hippy sandwich look was pervasive! There is a gap in the catalogs I can find for any bass as lavishly appointed as some of the Professional II guitars. My total guess is that it was a prototype bass that incorporated some of the SD Curlee elements.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »
Thanks Alanko for your survey. Interesting points. BTW, do you happen to have any connection to Finland? "Alanko" is a finnish surname.

I also chanced upon this photo and Jimmy Bain's bass has some of those same features too. Phil Lynott is playing Jimmy's Yamaha BB1200 (?).

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 03:57:32 AM »
Thanks Alanko for your survey. Interesting points. BTW, do you happen to have any connection to Finland? "Alanko" is a finnish surname.

No Finnish connection here. My name is Alan, and a Slovakian friend of mine called me 'Alanko' as a term of endearment. Adding 'ka' or 'ko' is apparently common, though Alan isn't a name over there. My girlfriend has kept this odd tradition alive.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 02:58:35 AM »
Adding 'ka' or 'ko' is apparently common, though Alan isn't a name over there. My girlfriend has kept this odd tradition alive.
My wife does the same with my name, it's Ilan (pronounced Elon, like Elon Musk).
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
I'm a HUGE Matsumoku nerd. I probably could go on and on about these, but I'll try to keep it short: At some point in the late 70's Mats. started a Korean factory, and they made a bunch of their designs "over there" to kinda test out everything. That's where the "Hondo Professional" stuff came from. (I have a "Skylark" guitar, and a "HIIP" guitar, and they're 90% similar- the difference is kinda like a "Custom Shop" whatever vs. a Squier/Epi) Mats. was no different than other Japanese companies, they made stuff for whoever hired them, so one design could have 14 different brand names on it. Oh, and they made neck-thru, set-neck and bolt-on ("Bayonet mount") stuff all in the same design guitars, like the Skylark I have.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 09:58:44 PM »
I remember spending years trying to find out what brand my friend's matsumoku fender copy bass was. This was before internet.
I was so happy when I walked into a shop that sold one : it had a logo! It was an Aria Diamond 1820.

And then I got somewhat puzzled again when I saw the Epiphone T280. Ah, the mysteries in life...