Author Topic: Dating a 70s Gibson SG guitar?  (Read 8560 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Dating a 70s Gibson SG guitar?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 11:13:33 PM »
Many people think that a Bigsby needs to have a roller bridge for better tuning stability, which may be why the OP is looking for one to replace the harmonica bridge. IMHO as long as the bridge is stable, it makes little or no difference.
If saddles are too deep or 'bites' the string no vibrato unit will stay in tune or work well. It's just a part of the setup. The bigsby is a good working unit when set up correctly. That said, tuning a guitar between songs is also a part of being a musician!

But I agree, you don't need a roller. Just make sure the bridge saddles and nut is set up for the bigsby.

bholder

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
The harmonica bridge does look a bit like the Evertilt, but it doesn't tilt like one.

Many people think that a Bigsby needs to have a roller bridge for better tuning stability, which may be why the OP is looking for one to replace the harmonica bridge. IMHO as long as the bridge is stable, it makes little or no difference.
Yeah, it's stable as long as I don't use the tremolo at all, even a light wiggle will throw things off.  I'll try a roller bridge if I can find one that fits with no mods, not doing anything irreversible.

bholder

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 05:43:05 AM »
If saddles are too deep or 'bites' the string no vibrato unit will stay in tune or work well. It's just a part of the setup. The bigsby is a good working unit when set up correctly. That said, tuning a guitar between songs is also a part of being a musician!

But I agree, you don't need a roller. Just make sure the bridge saddles and nut is set up for the bigsby.
So how does one properly set up a stock harmonica bridge to work with a bigsby?  Is there some setup trick I'm missing? Smooth saddle slots maybe?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
I think the simple answer is, you don't... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »
So how does one properly set up a stock harmonica bridge to work with a bigsby?  Is there some setup trick I'm missing? Smooth saddle slots maybe?

There's no trick, but both nut and saddles need special attention for it to work as good as possible. They must not catch or 'bite' the strings in any way. Polish the bottoms with fine sandpaper. You can add some lubrication (graphite, ex) if you wish. And make sure the bearings on the bigsby work smooth.

And some even use flat bottom filing on the nut, this demands some skills however. There is lots of tips and vids if you Google. 

bholder

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 03:47:48 AM »
Found this roller bridge from stewmac (overpriced, of course) that fits perfectly: 

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/All_Hardware_and_Parts_by_Instrument/Electric_Guitar_Parts/Electric_Guitar_Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Tune-o-matic_Bridges/Locking_Roller_Bridge.html
Fits perfectly, had to replace the studs too because the posts are different but they fit the bushing thread and spacing perfectly.

and as amptech and others predicted, doesn't seem to help much so far, perhaps a little.  Looks and feels better though (imho).

Thanks again for the help!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 05:17:08 AM »
Those roller bridges are often branded Wilkinson. I had one, and it wasn't all that good. Soft metal, with soft grub screws being a problem in particular.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 07:04:01 AM »
Isn't that bridge a replacement for an angled tune-o-matic? If so, it wouldn't work as a replacement for the harmonica bridge.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2017, 07:16:02 AM »
as amptech and others predicted, doesn't seem to help much so far, perhaps a little.  Looks and feels better though (imho).

Graphite powder in the nut slots, or a whole new graphite nut would probably help. Maybe locking tuners too, but I wouldn't think those would be necessary as long as you use it as a "wiggle stick" and not an Uli Roth divebomber.  :o

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
I don't think you can dive-bomb on a bigsby? At least not the one I've played with.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »
Standard bridge is a blade where the strings sit so trying a "dive" usually results in a distinctive "ping" as the lower "wound" strings re-locate...
They make good slide instruments...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

bholder

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2017, 06:10:01 AM »
Isn't that bridge a replacement for an angled tune-o-matic? If so, it wouldn't work as a replacement for the harmonica bridge.
I bought it "on speculation", but it does fit perfectly, pics when I get a chance.  Quality isn't great, but then, wasn't so great on the original harmonica bridge either.

Graphite powder in the nut slots, or a whole new graphite nut would probably help. Maybe locking tuners too, but I wouldn't think those would be necessary as long as you use it as a "wiggle stick" and not an Uli Roth divebomber.  :o
Yeah, Bigsbys don't dive bomb so well and if you try, they never come back the same.  What I wish I could get rid of is the "wiggle" where the vibrato arm attaches to the tremolo - I might just remove that upper spring and replace it wish some washers - makes for a very uneven vibrato as the spring takes up some of the motion intended for the bridge.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2017, 02:49:25 PM »
Those roller bridges are often branded Wilkinson. I had one, and it wasn't all that good. Soft metal, with soft grub screws being a problem in particular.

Exactly my experience too, got one for my epi lp, and after a while two of the intonation screws gave up. Piece of junk, stay away.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 07:01:54 AM »

Exactly my experience too, got one for my epi lp, and after a while two of the intonation screws gave up. Piece of junk, stay away.

Could be the same (bholder will soon find out), but just because it looks the same doesn't necessarily mean it is. There could be several Asian factories putting out the same design.

As for Wilkinson, he licenses his name to cheaper versions of his own products. He has a quality compensated saddle Tele bridge with that's made for him by Gotoh, then he also puts his name on a Chinese version sold by Guitar Fetish (and others) at half the price.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
I don't think you can dive-bomb on a bigsby? At least not the one I've played with.

Only once you can. The song better stop then so the roadie can retune.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...