Author Topic: Dating a 70s Gibson SG guitar?  (Read 8564 times)

bholder

• View Profile
Dating a 70s Gibson SG guitar?
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »
Hi, new here - I tried on TalkBass and someone suggested I try here, so any of you Gibson experts:  I've been trying to date my 70s SG since I got it in '79, without any luck, I've been to all of the sites that show up on the first few pages of a google search still nothing. Serial number is 738265, stamped on the back of the headstock along with "Made in USA" so it's post 1970. The number would make sense if it had an S suffix, but it doesn't. Checked the control cavity too, no sign of anything there. Any ideas anyone? Anyone know of a good forum to ask on?

It's a fairly standard SG with except it has black minihumbuckers, and a Gibson stamped Bigsby style tailpiece, "Nashville" bridge (I think), small pickguard.

bholder

• View Profile
Re: Dating a 70s Gibson SG guitar?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
A couple more pics

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:42:12 AM »
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx
After entering that serial number here and clicking the extended search box, page down the screen. It says 70' 71' or 72'
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

bholder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »
Thanks!  I tried that site, but didn't try the extended search (didn't notice it).  Excellent.  Still not very specific, but I know which year's catalogs to check.

bholder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 12:13:19 PM »
Thanks so much for narrowing down the years!  Searching for "1972 Gibson catalog", I found this '73 leaflet: http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1973_solidbody_1.php

It's the 3rd one down, 1973 SG special, with the "optional Bigsby vibrato"!  Nailed it, thanks so much!   I've been wondering for 38 years! 

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »
This both why I love this place and also why I don't bother much with other forums. Welcome aboard, bholder! Even if you're just here for your SG question, I'm still glad you found what you needed.

bholder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »
Thanks, I think I'll hang out here some, since I'm mostly a bassist anyway. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 01:06:36 PM »
The Guitar Dater Project has some flaws but in this case, it's correct.

With a dot neck and binding, yours is an SG Special from that era. With the black min-hums, I'd place it as a 70 or 71.

That bridge is not a Nashville bridge, which wasn't introduced until about 77, after Gibson opened their Nashville factory.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 02:37:59 PM »
It's called an "SG Special"... budget range instrument... I own one too... mine is within a date range 72-74...

Mine's butchered but been owned by me since the 70's and bought this beastie as a package with my 1970 Marshall 4x12 slope cab and 1970 Hiwatt... nice guitar but not very subtle... bridge is dodgy and as for the Bigsby...  :o
Mostly use mine for slide... used to be all orange once too... started off tobacco red... came in cherry and tobacco...
Modify the Bigsby to reverse where the strings locate... makes it a lot easier to re-string, as in the pic...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:43:44 PM by Highlander »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
Good idea. Was it hard getting the string holding bar out?.I see from that catalog that what a band mate had back about 1977 was in fact an sg11.kinda bright pickups .i.i.r.c .Whodathunk.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:56:19 PM by clankenstein »
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 05:15:59 PM »
Not hard at all, from what I remember... just retained by a circlip... can get a present pic if reqd... just span it 180 degrees... had to "break" the bridge too, to get the low E intonated... reversed the saddle...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »
The SG Special was mid-line, not a budget model. The SG I and II were the budget models (companions to the SB basses of that era).

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
I wonder if the sg I and II had the same pickups as the SB350 and SB450,they sure look the same.
Louder bass!.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 12:50:47 AM »
I always use this page on Fly Guitars to date Gibson instruments.
http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/serial_numbers/

This in combination with the potentiometer dates should narrow it down pretty accurate.

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/parts/pots.php

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 04:00:30 AM »
The SG Special was mid-line, not a budget model. The SG I and II were the budget models (companions to the SB basses of that era).

Always thought they were cheapies as it was a "copy" Bigsby... paid £200 for the 3 items... mind you, I paid £200 for the PC too...