Author Topic: Some really tasty fretless playing  (Read 1447 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Some really tasty fretless playing
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:18:01 PM »
I've been on a kick of listening to this album obsessively lately. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know. But I really like the way some of these songs feature bass as a counterpoint to the vocal.
Particularly the two with Eberhard Weber:

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Some really tasty fretless playing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:04:19 AM »
I like fretless played that way. Weber can pe the Perfect spice in a stew of good musicians. His solo stuff can be a bit boring, though.
The 'colours of chloĆ«' album for example, is a weird collage of bits and pieces and never really gets anywhere. But when he plays bass on colours of chloe with Gary Burton/band on the ring album, it's pure magic!   

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 04:15:33 PM »
 :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »
Weber is great. "Yellow Fields" is on my to-buy -list and his work on Ralph Towner's "Solstice" is great. That Kate Bush album was the first time I heard him.

Kate also used another fabulous upright player, Danny Thompson. His sound is very different to Weber's of course.

I recently got "Later That Evening" from which this is a highlight.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing, pekka. Didn't know Weber had worked with Frisell. Nice!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Weber is great. "Yellow Fields" is on my to-buy -list and his work on Ralph Towner's "Solstice" is great. That Kate Bush album was the first time I heard him.

Kate also used another fabulous upright player, Danny Thompson. His sound is very different to Weber's of course.

I recently got "Later That Evening" from which this is a highlight.

Yes! This album is awesome!

I loved Kate Bush when I was in high school, but my LP of Hounds of Love didn't have the inner sleeve so I never knew who played what until much later - never made the connection that Eberhard Weber was playing on this. I need to pick this up on CD again! In high school I had all the 12" singles I could get - I thought the 12" remixes were better than the originals sometimes.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:28:28 AM »
I saw Eberhard Weber around 1979 in Wellington N.Z. He had John Marshall (latter day Soft Machine ) on drums .good gig!
Louder bass!.