Author Topic: Neck constructions  (Read 1062 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Neck constructions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »
R. M. Mottola published his study about ten years ago. Nice of Premier Guitar to get around to discussing it. Better late than never, I suppose.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 05:01:21 AM »
As long as people can discuss P versus J, this can be done too.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 05:21:52 AM »
I am not convinced. And I pride myself in detecting that that "Thunderbird" in the one vid in the TBird thread was a Victory, because it sounded bolt-on to me, so there! What more scientific proof do you need?  :mrgreen:

In my ears, the note on a bolt-on develops quicker (attack), but doesn't last as long (sustain). A bolt-on is more upfront and precussive. I always put that down - quite simply - to the different length of the necks. I'll admit that I'm not so sure whether I could always identify a set neck from a bolt-on or a set neck from a neck-thru. That said, I find all those Grecos and  Orvilles (you guys always rave about) lacking in the sustain department around the 10th/12th fret, even the set neck Gibson NonRevs aren't quite there for me. They have sustain, but it is not the melody-playing-enticing sustain of a TB Rev or a Ric 4001/4003 up there (though a Ric also has plenty of attack, I put that down to the maple construction and the single coil pups).

None of this is ever a determining factor for the audience, only for us acoustic trainspotters. Of course I can survive a gig with a bolt-on as well. My favourite bolt-on is probably the Gibson G-3 with its hilarious snappiness though it reinforces my already busy and attention-clamoring (people say) playing style so I tend to play "slower" basses.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:06:07 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
Yes, they're talking sustain and not decay. Apart from that the stiffness of a neck is important and imho a 6-bolt neck sounds more NT/Set than a 4-bolt one. Apart from all the other factors.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 12:56:04 PM »
Yes, they're talking sustain and not decay. Apart from that the stiffness of a neck is important and imho a 6-bolt neck sounds more NT/Set than a 4-bolt one. Apart from all the other factors.

Mottola's study was all about measuring sustain using the same piece(s) of wood. It's fine, as far as it goes, but he didn't claim any more than that. I have no doubt that there are other factors. I agree that neck stiffness must be a factor, and that isn't just limited to what wood. There might be a noticeable difference between two different pieces of the same species, or between otherwise identical guitars with two different neck profiles. And what about string tension? Could a neck under more tension from heavier strings act differently? Hard to pin down all the variables.

I'm not convinced the number of neck bolts would matter so long as there's solid, direct contact between the neck heel and the pocket. Fender's micro-tilt bolt reduces contact. Likewise using partial neck shims instead of solid.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 03:08:09 PM »
I don't think it's their sheer number, but the greater and more even pressure "neck to body pocket" a 6- or 8-bolt construction creates/allows.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...