Author Topic: R.I.P. Steve Lang  (Read 1664 times)

Hörnisse

• View Profile
R.I.P. Steve Lang
« on: March 01, 2017, 04:04:02 PM »
Not a well known player but one that I definitely noticed back in the late 70's/early 80's.  His Music Man Sting Ray tone on the opening of April Wine's "I Like To Rock" made me seek one out. This was difficult to do back then as they had ceased production of them around 1980.  I did finally find my first Sting Ray Bass, a sunburst '78, in April 1982 for $325 in the Austin American Statesman classifieds section.  :toast:

Sadly Steve passed away February 4th at age 67.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Steve Lang
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »
rip... saw him play, just the once...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »
RIP. Apparently he suffered from Parkinson's.

2017 isn't starting out any better than 2016.

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
Saw April Wine on the Harder..Faster tour, they were a great live band.
Rest In Peace Steve.

Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »
They were a really good rock and roll band. RIP.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »
They were a really good rock and roll band

They still are. They still average about 30 shows/year. Although Miles Goodwyn is the only original member of the band (Gerry Mercer sadly has stopped playing drums and is now in his late 70's), Brian Greenway is still in the band and he goes back to at least 1980. For a Canadian, April Wine (and Randy Bachman, of course) are a mainstay of summer festivals across the country. I saw them about 4 years ago and they still put on a great show.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »
I just started reading Myles Goodwyn's book "Just Between You and Me" a couple of weeks ago. Haven't gotten to where Steve Lang joined.

So far it's a good read.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »
They still are. They still average about 30 shows/year. Although Miles Goodwyn is the only original member of the band (Gerry Mercer sadly has stopped playing drums and is now in his late 70's), Brian Greenway is still in the band and he goes back to at least 1980. For a Canadian, April Wine (and Randy Bachman, of course) are a mainstay of summer festivals across the country. I saw them about 4 years ago and they still put on a great show.

Cool. I had no idea. They got some airplay here in Chicago (check out the singer's "the Loop" tee shirt  ;D ) back in the very early 80s, but I haven't heard anything about them since.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 09:26:55 AM »
The way they combine(d) the riffs of Day Tripper and Satisfaction into their very own riff of "I like to rock" towards the end of the song always draws a smile to my face.

Eternal happy bass hunting grounds for the colleague.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »
I saw them at a Monsters of Rock gig (Rainbow headlining, with Saxon , Scorpions and Priest)... had a lot of their early vinyl too... really used to like them...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...