Author Topic: AXL/DC to continue..  (Read 5667 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: AXL/DC to continue..
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
I didn't realize it's down to just Angus. That is kind of lame, like if Alex Lifeson was the only one on board with another Rush tour and he recruited Kip Winger and Phil Collins.  :o

The horror!  :o

FWIW I don't care that Angus or Axle want to continue, it's calling the band AC/DC that rubs me wrong.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 10:57:25 PM »
I didn't realize it's down to just Angus. That is kind of lame, like if Alex Lifeson was the only one on board with another Rush tour and he recruited Kip Winger and Phil Collins.  :o

... only to Discover he'd have to play the drums because phil collins wanted to be the frontman:-)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 07:40:41 AM »
...which would work out fine considering Phil outsold Rush in the 80s, but then ticket sales would dry up after Eric Clapton starts a competing tour with Peter Gabriel fronting Cream.
  This all seems silly until you remember that besides Axl fronting ACDC, the Grateful Dead are playing with John Mayer and without Phil Lesh. Also what's the point of Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore anyway. Yeah I went there.  ;D
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 08:20:50 AM »
Bands age. Like all of us. They go through phases. Like all of us.

If one phase ends and another one starts then I'm against dwelling on the past forever - that's a bit like wishing that Brad and Jennifer, errrm, Angelina were still an item. Angus&Axl/DC want to record a new album, that is legitimate. If all they did was a Greatest Hits tour with Axl singing Bon Scott songs it be a different matter to me. Axl does a good job singing/screeching that stuff, you know how limited yet tasking the role of a vocalist in AC/DC is.

I don't have issues with Steve Morse in Purple, he has been longer in that band than Blackmore (even taking all his various stints together) and the music has adapted to his style. He's no dark maverick like Blackmore and no drugged charming angel wildly veering between breathtaking inspiration and utter failure like Bolin, just a gifted musician working hard at his craft. Nostalgia aside, I don't think that Blackmore would have much to say with DP anymore, his days of inspiration are behind him. Never mind, anybody who wrote something as idiosyncratic as the Burn riff is entitled to some inspirational rest.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »
I don't give a screech who joins Angus on stage when he does his thing, it's all yawny after two or three songs to me.

Ditto.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 09:34:13 AM »
Point taken Uwe. ZZ top are all together but can anyone hum a tune of theirs from the last twenty years even? Any band with any line up has an expiration date. Thinking about Phil Collins though, it would be great to see him and Genesis do a remake of the Land of Confusion video. It would be worth it for the Trump and Merkel puppets alone.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »
Collins was over-present for pretty much all of the 80ies and much of the 90ies, spreading himself very thinly, and there was a time when you really couldn't make out anymore what was him solo and what was Genesis. That said, I think he was/is one of the most gifted and musical drummers of the world and he has a soul- and tuneful voice, a lot more flexible than Gabriel's - whose voice oozes charisma, but is/was in fact very limited in what it could do.

Talk about an entertaining drum solo with a tune to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=---iK5W7oE4

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »
Ah, Tarzan.  I didn't see that animated version (on purpose,) but I've seen all the others.  Margot Robbie.  She isn't in AC/DC but she's definitely Australian and does a good job of playing Jane, too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVCxuWEqQ54

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 03:01:36 PM »
Oh my, that is dumb, but cute, I think I'll rent the bluray, chick flick! Edith has a crush on that True Blood guy.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »
Oh my, that is dumb, but cute, I think I'll rent the bluray, chick flick! Edith has a crush on that True Blood guy.

As an avid Tarzan fan since age 9, I'm very familiar with the Tarzan movies.  This one was disappointing.  Alexander Skarsgard wasn't right for the part and the plot was way too contrived.  But I have no complaints about Margot Robbie.  My expectations for the movie were high, but it's probably still worth watching at least once.  I will agree that, contrary to many other Tarzan movies, this one is probably of more interest to women than men. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 04:11:36 AM »
if Alex Lifeson was the only one on board with another Rush tour and he recruited Kip Winger and Phil Collins.  :o

ouch!

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
or maybe Mark Evans will avail himself.

Mark emailed me the other day to ask if I still had the cherryburst Ripper I owned a few years ago - he still has the one he used with ACDC, but says he is looking for a second one to have as a "backup".  I didn't press him any further on that, but you never know I guess?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
Scraping the barrel for cedibility you mean?  :mrgreen:

They also still have Chris Slade who I really like as a drummer and who left a strong visual impact in his time with them. Though I have seen AC/DC three times and always with Phil Rudd, whenever I think of them, Chris Slade/Popeye/Mr Clean on drums comes to mind.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:35:18 PM by uwe »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, Phil gets a pass on all of it just for Chinese Wall. Even after paying absolutely no attention at all to all the rest of his output, I freakin' loved that album. Of course, Philip Bailey may have had something to do with it.