Author Topic: Antique radios "Gotta have"  (Read 3583 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Antique radios "Gotta have"
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
In a town nearby, a gent recently passed away who was a master collector of antique radios. The online auction was yesterday, and there were a couple hundred radios sold.  I ended up with three.

First, a 1937 Philco "Tombstone" style farm set (a farm set is battery only, as they pre-date rural electrification in the US):

Next, a 1937 Zenith Tombstone style:

And a 1947 Motorola radio/record player combination:

Going to pick them up this afternoon! 

Some of the ultra-collectible Zenith floor models went high....

This one went for $595:

This one for $665:

I KNOW I don't need them, but I've never been able to come up with two of the 30's Tombstone style radios before. There were some incredibly cool radios, a number of tube testers, and other stuff.

If you feel like spending a few minutes surfing the radios, try this link:  https://whitleyauction.hibid.com/catalog/88275/2-9-17-antique-radios--crocks-and-more-estate-auction-/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:11:03 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Antique radios "Gotta have"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
Himmel, no Volksempfänger?!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
Very nice... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:59:12 PM »
Very cool. Two of my uncles were radio repairmen back in the day, and were two of the earliest TV repairmen in town. I used to see radios like that in their garage shop.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 07:54:19 AM »
Himmel, no Volksempfänger?!

That's a cool one, Uwe. Looks to be all Bakelite, including the knobs.  I haven't seen that very often.

Here's the portable I have which i think is coolest.  It's a 50's Motorola clamshell with a tweed cover, somewhat similar in look to Fender's tweed. the handle shows the tuning scale and the rotary knobs next to the handle are volume and tuning.

Here's the interior...

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »
We had some... dad slung them when he cleared the old house back in the 90's... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »
I was curious about how the farm radio power deal worked. I knew they were powered by tractor batteries; you'd work all day, then pull the battery and take it into the house at night.  I found that the Philco still has the press-on caps used to connect to the battery. Just push 'em on over the battery posts.

BTW - here's a photo of one of the most unusual radios I've ever seen - sold in that auction. A "columnair" with extreme art deco styling.

And these two chairside radios were furniture, designed to double as tables next to your favorite chair in the evenings.

I'm just blown away by the wonderful styling of these antiques. And the joints in the woodwork are all tight and hard to see after nearly 80 years.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:01:43 AM by Pilgrim »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »
Great stuff, Al.  Back when people fixed their own stuff or at least gave it a shot!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 11:58:12 AM »
Great stuff, Al.  Back when people fixed their own stuff or at least gave it a shot!

They were too expensive not to fix.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
They were too expensive not to fix.

:thumbsup:

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »
Interesting! Reminds me that I have a couple Silvertone DC farm radios & a Recordio that I have been procrastinating dealing with. I think the Recordio just needed the "death caps" replaced. One of the D.C. Radios had a battery card in it from Wards before they closed. I was tempted to take it in & see what they would say. I believe it was a 90 volt battery. Kind of like taking a realistic lifetime tube back to Radio Shack & requesting a replacement.......
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
I made sure the farm radio I bought was a 6V model (saw a sticker on the inside of the case.) I figure I can come up with 6V without much trouble if I ever want to try it out.

I also have a Variac that I rescued from surplus at the university, so I do have a way to warm up an old radio gradually without zapping it at 120V all at once.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »
I also have my Dads Trutone AC/DC portable radio, I believe it's a 1947. I should be able to duplicate the transformer, I would assume. Just have to get around to it!

This Recordio is pretty much identical to mine. Mine needs a piece of wood repaired on the bottom. Surprisingly, there still were NOS record blanks still available a few years back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940s-Wilcox-Gay-Recordio-model-B-30-turntable-record-cutter-/222407347673?hash=item33c882cdd9:g:dMYAAOSwTuJYoIVR

My (3) wind up phonographs are low maintenance. My grandkids get a kick out of them............
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:38:56 AM by Grog »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
Very nice! I find it interesting that the volume control used to be how far open or closed the doors in front of the sound horn were.

I'll see if I can get a photo of my grandfather's floor model Victrola tonight...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 06:00:05 PM »
The photo I posted earlier is of the Columbia Grafonola. These two are different versions of Victolas from about the same era. One having the horn above the record storage, the other it's side by side.

Note the Trutone Portable radio on the above photo.................
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:59:01 PM by Grog »