Author Topic: Explorer bass on ePay  (Read 12848 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Explorer bass on ePay
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2017, 06:17:40 AM »
So what's the verdict on the strap passing over the top back horn?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »
File under: "Historic Aberration" (-----> see also: Confederate Flag).  :mrgreen:

I don't know what's with Explorer guitars but there is no necessity to do this with an Explorer bass, it hangeth exceedingly well.

And then there were always guitarists with ties to a certain favorite band of mine (and stemming from States not quite as rebel as Florida, namely Iowa - though he spent most of his life in Boulder, Colorado, whose Civil War loyalties weren't quite so clear I am told ...  ;D ) that knew how to strap an Explorer properly!

Bolin was also an early Explorer player, how could I of all people have forgotten mentioning him?  :-[

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:39:41 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2017, 08:09:26 AM »
Bought it.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bass/Ltd-Ed-Korina-Explorer-Bass.aspx

Recommended. It's surprisingly light (lighter than the previous Epi Explorers), looks better in real life than on the picture, great fret job and what's in those traditionally looking Epi humbucker casings is not what you heard on the Epi TBs and Explorers of yore, they have actually audibly changed the pup design: Where there used to be mostly mushy mids and little else, you now have transparent mids that leave treble and even presence as well as bass ample room to breathe, yet have just the right amount of ferocious mid-growl. I was really pleasantly surprised. Not that I expected crap, but under the merciless scrutiny of a Glockenklang amp in the sound booth, the bass held up astonishingly well and sounded more remarkable than the Gibson EB 5er 2017 T which I bought as well.

For kicks I looked on both Sweetwater and MF yesterday and found no cool pointiness. What does this lovely go for?

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
Looks like $550 at AMS. I only skimmed through, but I didn't see a case mentioned.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EBEX-LIST

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2017, 08:20:25 AM »
I paid EUR 450 for mine, I'd expect it around the same in US Dollars. It's a ltd. ed., so it might be selling out quickly, but your neighbors to the north still have it:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/75162/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Epiphone/Korina-Explorer-Bass-Ltd.htm

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2017, 08:24:01 AM »
Case here:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-940EXBCS-LIST

Only recommended for spacious utility cars (Subaru et al).

Btw: The thing to look out for is the black scratch plate on these new Ltd Ed Korina Explorers. The old Epi Explorers came in a natural korina variation too (though the wood wasn't), but that had a white pick guard.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:44:11 AM by uwe »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
I paid EUR 450 for mine, I'd expect it around the same in US Dollars. It's a ltd. ed., so it might be selling out quickly, but your neighbors to the north still have it:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/75162/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Epiphone/Korina-Explorer-Bass-Ltd.htm

I am available to grab and ship for any of my brothers in need, just so you know  :vader:

FYI 769CAD + sales tax = 885.50 = US$658
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:42:26 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »
but there is no necessity to do this with an Explorer bass, it hangeth exceedingly well.
When I had an Arbor branded Explorer copy, There was no neck dive but it "moved" differently than F-type basses. Like a seesaw with a longer board.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2017, 01:14:05 PM »
I'm with JAE: It's a great shape for me. I don't find a P-Bass more comfortable than other basses, it's just what everybody is used to. As a pick player, the Explorer let's me rest my arm, yet at the same time I can anchor or move it with my arm - I like that manoeuvrability -, all very convenient and never getting in the way of my playing. But then I have been playing TBürdse and Explorers for so long, it comes natural to me.

I guess I'm weird, I also think that a Flying V is the most comfortable bass sitting down if you use the "Spanish position". Try doing that with a P and playing for an hour in the high register. I find my right elbow has to stick out too much if I play a P in a standard seated position for long.

No one will ever convert me to "F-type basses", Ilan, I'm a lost cause. That said, I find the J shape much preferable to the P and more comfortable too. The P is a slab of wood just hanging there for me.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2017, 04:04:44 AM »
If I hadn't already bought two new basses for 2017 that Explorer would be very tempting.  As for P basses, I've never liked them at all and never identified with their appeal.  I was never much of an F-type bass person, but J basses do have a certain charm to them. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal