Author Topic: David Glimour - On An Island  (Read 1588 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
David Glimour - On An Island
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:11 AM »
I recently bought David Gilmour's solo disc - On An Island. It's an amazing CD. Mellow, but very mellow Floyd like with some great Gilmour signature guitar work and vocals. Sounds like it could have been from The Dark Side of the Moon era.

I highly recommend it if you were ever a Floyd fan. Not much bass work on it to speak of, typical for a guitarist from the time.

I also think that Gilmour is an unsung guitarist as he really is not a flashy player like Beck or Clapton, but his sound is unmistakable.
I put him in the Santana boat in that respect.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: David Glimour - On An Island
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:41:01 AM »
Yup, it's nice. I'm no Floyd diehard, but I like that album for the same reasons. Gilmour has unmistakeable tone.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:35:03 AM »
I'm not a huge PF nutswinger at all but I prefer David Gilmour to any of his contemporaries. His playing is head and shoulders above Clapton especially (IMHO, of course). The guy's almost lyrical phrasing and note choice are magical. He proves the adage that sometimes it's not the notes you play, but the ones you don't that make the difference.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:07:27 PM »
I was also shocked to find out most of his slide work is actually lap pedal guitar & not slide guitar.

Echos come to mind.