Author Topic: Is there really a huge switch to flatwound strings going on?  (Read 7213 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Is there really a huge switch to flatwound strings going on?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
I've used flats on the RD for some years now, but I have the neck as bare maple with no cover so it's self-preservation... Mostly Roto Jazz strings... I have TI's on a 5 string fretless acoustic for the same reasons... The Jazz has the same Roto's... not sure what I'm putting on the AD once I finish the neck...
The PC's only ever had round Roto's for decades now...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »

I did try some TI flats on one of my Thunderbirds once..........
No more big angry piano.

Never again  :puke:

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 04:51:46 PM »
I've always played predominately flats.  Would guess its just that they felt more natural to me having migrated off the upright.  I did resort to playing rounds for a brief period just because it was next to impossible to find flats in a store. Kind of nice that you actually see them stocked more now.

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 07:43:36 PM »
Two of my basses have flats the rest all wear rounds.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 08:15:37 PM »
I think Dave and I were have it right. I'm a big LaBellas Deep Talkin' flats fan but my sound is 60s and 70s intentionally.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »
Big difference when talking about short scales or long scales as well.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 11:03:23 PM »
The trouble with flats is that they last so much longer than rounds, even to my insane heavy handed bass abuse. I'm dying to try the set of LaBella flats that came as a bonus when I bought my G&L L-5500 about ten years ago, but all of my basses I think they would best complement are already flat-equipped. For me, I like the extra tension compared to similar gauged rounds on my rock basses, my homemade ESP/Fender and my Epi Les Paul Standard, that the Ernie Ball flats on them provide, but I don't have a P-Bass that I want to use them on; my Mexi-P is a second with an inch-too-shallow neck pocket giving it an accidental 35" scale. It's great for detuning, but not an ideal vintage thumper. My Mexi J fretless still has its stock early 2000's flats and they show no signs of dying anytime soon. Basically, I need a P-Bass since I can't do short scale Gibbys.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:43:38 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 11:30:32 PM »
I never understood the hype about Tomastik flats that was going on about ten years ago.

There was a TI hype? Never noticed..

Anyway, I got my first TI set in 1995 and have used them since. They sound great and most important they feel great. I do like what a round core bass string does compared to a hex core. I usually keep calm when gear is discussed online, but I will stand up for TI again and again.

I think it's both stupid and unfair to say that they make bad strings or that they sound bad. I know more than one bass player who 'got a set for free from someone who didn't like them, but they were extremely thin and floppy'. Well, they make them thicker and they make tem roundwound. Well, I don't like too thick gauge strings - but then again I would not put them on a bass and give them a bad review, like 'TI make junk strings' (I actually see that online from time to time)

It feels (to me) the same as when people buy processed meat all year - supermarket quality - and when they taste something from the local butcher it just tastes weird!

I admit to have a 'normal' stainless steel set on my Grabber though, I like how it sounds all punky and fresh just like when i was a kid.
And on my Rick 4001 I use either EXL RED's (D'addario) or nickel rounds of some other generic brand.
Otherwise, it's TI's alll over!

(ducking) :-X

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 04:26:03 AM »
My '76 Tbird died too with flats.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 05:59:29 AM »
I have been all over the board with this, but have settled on Dadarrio exl 170 rounds...cheap, easy on the neck, and easy to find. Sound good too. Flats are just not bright or flexible enough.

Love rounds on my new Gibson 5 string 2013 EB.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »
There was a TI hype? Never noticed..

Anyway, I got my first TI set in 1995 and have used them since. They sound great and most important they feel great. I do like what a round core bass string does compared to a hex core. I usually keep calm when gear is discussed online, but I will stand up for TI again and again.

I think it's both stupid and unfair to say that they make bad strings or that they sound bad. I know more than one bass player who 'got a set for free from someone who didn't like them, but they were extremely thin and floppy'. Well, they make them thicker and they make tem roundwound. Well, I don't like too thick gauge strings - but then again I would not put them on a bass and give them a bad review, like 'TI make junk strings' (I actually see that online from time to time)

It feels (to me) the same as when people buy processed meat all year - supermarket quality - and when they taste something from the local butcher it just tastes weird!

I admit to have a 'normal' stainless steel set on my Grabber though, I like how it sounds all punky and fresh just like when i was a kid.
And on my Rick 4001 I use either EXL RED's (D'addario) or nickel rounds of some other generic brand.
Otherwise, it's TI's alll over!

(ducking) :-X

No reason to duck. I'm not aware of anyone saying that TI makes bad strings, only that they don't like the tone and/or the feel. That's just a matter of personal taste.

There was a huge TI hype here in the early 00s, a lot of it was promoted by Steve Barr, first at the FDP and then at the Dudepit.

Round core vs hex core is misunderstood. The size of the core wire has a lot more to do with flexibility than the shape. It also has a lot to do with tension, since core wire is solid and outer wrappings always have some air space in between.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »

There was a huge TI hype here in the early 00s, a lot of it was promoted by Steve Barr, first at the FDP and then at the Dudepit.

I think you're right. It was more than ten years ago.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 05:10:55 PM »
Yes the mass hysterias I remember were first TI's followed by Darkstars. I use flats on about 25% of my basses. I prefer Chromes mostly but on the fretless Ripper TI's work better to my ears. However I don't agree about modern music obviously using rounds. Most modern music (generally speaking) has the bass guitar eq'd so that I don't hear anything above 500Hz so if there's roundwound stirngs on the bass I can't actually hear it. And yes, I do hear the cymbals (and still hear the crickets).

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 05:16:28 AM »
There are pros and cons for flats and rounds for me.  I got a Hofner Ignition with LaBella flats, but exchanged it for a Contemporary.  I was expecting to like the LaBella strings more since people seem to recommend them so much.  They were okay, but when I got the Contemporary the first thing i noticed is how much more at ease I felt playing strings that weren't so smooth.  Also, the overall sound was much more aggressive, although this could also have to do with the Contemporary being a much better bass.  I like flats because they last longer.  Plus, I've played them more through the years.  But rounds definitely have a feel more to my liking. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
Yes the mass hysterias I remember were first TI's followed by Darkstars. I use flats on about 25% of my basses. I prefer Chromes mostly but on the fretless Ripper TI's work better to my ears. However I don't agree about modern music obviously using rounds. Most modern music (generally speaking) has the bass guitar eq'd so that I don't hear anything above 500Hz so if there's roundwound stirngs on the bass I can't actually hear it. And yes, I do hear the cymbals (and still hear the crickets).

Based on sales alone, I'm confident that rounds are much more common, but you're right, it's hard to tell. Even before modern eq it was difficult to tell in live recordings and often in studio recordings where the bass wasn't prominent in the mix.

Right about the Darkstar mania. At the Pit, it seemed like every few hours someone would post a link to a husk of some nondescript bass on eBay and say "Darkstar candidate" -- as if a POS could be magically transformed. And some guys would mod brand new expensive basses with Darkstars, then a few months later would try to sell them at an increased price. That worked for a while b/c they were selling them to each other. Then values fell. Not that there's anything wrong with Darkstars, but the hysteria was hard to understand.