Author Topic: NAMM update from Chris (Embassy and Tbird content)  (Read 30789 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: NAMM update from Chris (Embassy and Tbird content)
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
Funny. I'm sure someday the Classic IV will (again?) be regarded as highly desirable among the cognoscenti...

I'm old enough to remember people talking about how "bad" the Fender instruments of the era were (late 70s).  Now a beat-up 1979 P goes for $2k on reverb while a brand-new American Standard P is little more than half that. And it's not like seventies Fenders are rare. They just got old, and thus "vintage", and thus better. Wonder if that will apply to current Epiphone models someday.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
... until Epiphone starts making vintage pros with even cooler custom finishes like Inverness green, frost blue, heather mist and so on.

Inverness Green... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Inverness Green... :mrgreen:
+1.
Louder bass!.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
Funny. I'm sure someday the Classic IV will (again?) be regarded as highly desirable among the cognoscenti...

I'm old enough to remember people talking about how "bad" the Fender instruments of the era were (late 70s).  Now a beat-up 1979 P goes for $2k on reverb while a brand-new American Standard P is little more than half that. And it's not like seventies Fenders are rare. They just got old, and thus "vintage", and thus better. Wonder if that will apply to current Epiphone models someday.

We're probably at least half a century away from any Chinese guitars being considered "vintage" valuable in that sense. American guitars and basses still have a cachet that isn't matched by other American-made goods.

You have to like these for what they are now. From the demos I've heard, they're a lot of bass for the money.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:52 AM »
I think they will be up there with the JCS.
The demand must already be overwhelming, since they've postponed the release twice...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2017, 05:38:58 AM »
I still feel that the Thunderbird's "niche" status does not warrant the coexistence of both the VP and the CIVP at virtually the same price point. Unlike iterations of SGs, Les Pauls and P or J basses, the VP is not simply a repurposing of the existing Thunderbird husk with upgraded hardware. It is, in fact, the "faithful" execution of the vintage TBird format and dimensions - headstock, cutaway and all - that a lot of us have been clamoring for - and we are the niche dwellers, after all. However, the Classic IVs that are already in the pipeline will need to be disseminated before going full tilt with production/distribution of the new model, IMHO. There has been no price drop on the CIVP as yet (that I've noticed) to send it the way of the dodo, so I would think that the flow of VPs will remain a trickle until all the holiday "need it now" gift shoppers have been cleared out by selling them the CVIP.
This is not to disparage the Classic IV Pro. It is an excellent instrument - mine will likely remain a "go to" for gigging even after my VP (finally) arrives.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »

Mine showed yesterday, got a little time in with it last night, pretty nice bass! 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »
Nice! I guess the case is an extra?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2017, 02:35:43 PM »
Nice! I guess the case is an extra?

;D 

Yes Chris, I' didn't order a case as I have quite a few, that's a spare Gibson Blackbird case. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:29 PM »
  ;D 

Yes Chris, I' didn't order a case as I have quite a few, that's a spare Gibson Blackbird case.

It fit? I read somewhere that the VP was too long for the case that holds the "small" headstock basses. I know the Epi part number is different for the VP case.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2017, 06:35:34 AM »
It fit? I read somewhere that the VP was too long for the case that holds the "small" headstock basses. I know the Epi part number is different for the VP case.

No problem with it fitting that case, there's a little less distance between the tip of the head stock and the body is pretty snug in the cutout (which I think is a good thing).

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2017, 10:18:24 AM »
I use a Blackbird case for my Bicentennial. It works really well and has the same snug body fit.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2017, 10:23:53 PM »
Man. I really do not need another bass but ... that white one...   
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2017, 08:04:28 AM »
I know right!  /giddy teen
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2017, 10:37:11 AM »
Since when did need have anything to do with it?