Author Topic: NAMM update from Chris (Embassy and Tbird content)  (Read 30866 times)

veebass

• View Profile
Re: NAMM update from Chris (Embassy and Tbird content)
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »

I ordered a white Bird from Sweetwater today   :-*

Which model, Mark?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »
I wonder if there were ever Embassy basses - like there were Newports -that did not have the batwing headstock, but the then more trad. Epi 2+2 one

FrankieTbird has one. :-)

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 11:39:59 AM »
If the pups are indeed Chinese, I'm afraid prices will go up until summer, with the new tariffs and all.  :popcorn:

Well, at least they actually did pay for their wall.  :mrgreen:

Yes, I was wondering about things along those lines.
Not that anyone knows precisely what he is going to do, but if the Prezelect unleashes his pet Tariffosaurus on stuff coming into the States, you would expect the price of Epis, Squiers, MIM Fenders etc etc to rise there.
I was wondering whether it would directly impact the prices here in OZ. Do Epis on their way to the Australian, Asian or European markets even go through the States, or do they ship direct to Australia/ European importers? Anyone know?
To further complicate matters we (Oz) have free trade deals with both USA, South Korea and China.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:50:29 AM by veebass »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
Those tariffs will kick in right after Mexico pays for the wall that's never going to be built.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2017, 12:16:09 PM »
If the wall is built, I'm going into the tall ladder business.

The 2015 TBird might have sold better if Gibson hadn't jacked up the price by 60%.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2017, 12:28:11 PM »
True - that was hefty.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
Yes heftier price. All around the pickups, electronics, Babicz bridge and thicker Rosewood fingerboard added up but not to the 60%. I like the '15 enough to have let go of 2 of my other Gibson TBIV's and a Very nice Precision. The '15 covered a lot of tonal areas enough to prompt this lessening of my collizione. Yes Chinese made anything is on a steep surge and Epiphone will have to eventually end up being made in Africa. I manufacture in Japan for the most part and some of the resources are sourced from China, however in the last few years because of the cost increases in China the equivalent cost wise are reverted back to Japan and Thailand (for fabrics). China is not in the mix any more from where we are concerned and a lot of others as we are seeing.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
FrankieTbird has one. :-)

It has chinabuckers too, almost like its the protoype of the modern day version.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »

I ordered a white Bird from Sweetwater today   :-*

I'd say you need a white Subaru to go with it, but then you'd need a stack of Subarus to color match your bass-o-the-day.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 07:45:40 AM »
Yes heftier price. All around the pickups, electronics, Babicz bridge and thicker Rosewood fingerboard added up but not to the 60%. I like the '15 enough to have let go of 2 of my other Gibson TBIV's and a Very nice Precision. The '15 covered a lot of tonal areas enough to prompt this lessening of my collizione. Yes Chinese made anything is on a steep surge and Epiphone will have to eventually end up being made in Africa. I manufacture in Japan for the most part and some of the resources are sourced from China, however in the last few years because of the cost increases in China the equivalent cost wise are reverted back to Japan and Thailand (for fabrics). China is not in the mix any more from where we are concerned and a lot of others as we are seeing.

The same pickups and electronics were in the 2013-14 EB Bass which was priced at $1089 in 2014.

The Thunderbird was $1499 in 2013 and jacked up to $2179 in 2014 despite no changes. How can that be justified? Then to $2599 with the 2015 changes. No surprise that sales fell.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2017, 08:13:18 AM »
To me, the best, most refined TBird ever built in series is/was the 2015 TB with the DeCola pups, plek'ed frets and the Babicz bridge. It also epitomizes to me how you can gently modernize something, yet still stay true to the original spirit. But of course not with you reactionary lot, you TBird Amish!  :mrgreen:

Us car guys call that a "restomod".  8)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
Us car guys call that a "restomod".  8)

Nope, for a "restomod", you have to start with something old.  The '15 T-bird is more like a new Camaro or Challenger.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
I thought a restomod had to be not in working order. You know, like a three-point bridge.  :mrgreen:

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2017, 05:07:31 AM »
A 3 point bridge is not working as soon as you take the strings because you will be looking around the floor for the saddles.
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2017, 06:59:33 AM »
Nothing a bit of araldite won't sort... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...