Author Topic: NAMM update from Chris (Embassy and Tbird content)  (Read 30778 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: NAMM update from Chris (Embassy and Tbird content)
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
I must resist! I hope that will be like my love story with a 1967 lady. I resisted to buy a reissue of the Guild Starfire to meet the lady that I mentioned in my other posts. Hope that the story will end in the same way, when I bought a 1967 Starfire at the same price of a reissue
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
At most. If it's all MIC, their cost is probably half that.

Definitely Dave.  Pickups, bridge and tuners are MIC.  I was being conservative, most on this forum don't seem to have a clue how much stuff costs.

My former partner, who still manufactures in China and is part owner of three factories there, told me last week he anticipates higher material and labor costs as well as stiffer environmental rules in 2017.  So higher prices on Chinese goods make sense, but almost doubling US street prices for a mildly redesigned product seems out of line to me.  Especially with the yuan/dollar exchange rate at an almost eight year low.

I must resist! I hope that will be like my love story with a 1967 lady. I resisted to buy a reissue of the Guild Starfire to meet the lady that I mentioned in my other posts. Hope that the story will end in the same way, when I bought a 1967 Starfire at the same price of a reissue

Good luck with that!

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
It happened to me twice! I have bought my 1968 EB0 for the equivalent of 50 $ back in 1989 and the the Guild Starfire.
In Italy we say there is no two without three...
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »
That would make more sense, assuming it's MIC. But the prices Rob quoted are supposedly what it will retail for. We'll see.

I can't see them blowing a hole in the product line at a sensible price point (killing the C-IV Pro) to create a new, higher priced model of something that has a niche market. Despite Gibson's inherent silliness with their bass line, Epiphone has always been pretty much on the mark.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »
Referencing the Chinese TB pups a lot of us purchased... would be fascinating to discover if these are the new pups and we've been the market-research for Epi/Gibbie... :vader:

Once one of us gets one of these beasties someone will be able to compare them...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

RedVee

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 01:38:59 AM »
I'm keen to read some reviews once they hit the market. And maybe a comparison with the Classic.

I really like ebony Thunderbirds..,,
Gibson Thunderbird; Epi T’bird Goth

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 06:24:48 AM »
July is a long ways off. A review of the Korina Explorer would be nice in the meantime.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 07:24:01 AM »
If the pups are indeed Chinese, I'm afraid prices will go up until summer, with the new tariffs and all.  :popcorn:

Well, at least they actually did pay for their wall.  :mrgreen:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 08:10:03 AM »
I wasn't going to say it Uwe, but you could be right. At least it would give Gibson the opportunity to sell a made in America bass at a competitive price. Besides, who really wants to see Epiphone on the headstock of their 60's reissue Thunderbird?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »
If these things sell well, it might incentivize Gibson USA to produce that all-thought-consuming fetish fantasy of this forum: the true reissue of a 60ies TBird. A prospect that leaves me unexcited personally, but since I know how my brethren crave for it, you have my unadulterated support!  8)

To me, the best, most refined TBird ever built in series is/was the 2015 TB with the DeCola pups, plek'ed frets and the Babicz bridge. It also epitomizes to me how you can gently modernize something, yet still stay true to the original spirit. But of course not with you reactionary lot, you TBird Amish!  :mrgreen:

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
I can get over the headstock on the Embassy, but why they heck did they change the upper horn? looks odd to me.  A little too phallic  :o

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »

I ordered a white Bird from Sweetwater today   :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
The new Epiphone Classic Pro Thunderbird takes over some of their own Gibson market.
So they need to set up a line above that to justify more expensive bass guitars that are basically the same.
Enter the vintage correct slightly reliced Thunderbird. Made in the USA for people who want to pay $3000 for a new Thunderbird.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
I can get over the headstock on the Embassy, but why they heck did they change the upper horn? looks odd to me.  A little too phallic  :o
The people who gripe about neck dive can be held directly responsible.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 11:07:47 AM »
I wonder if there were ever Embassy basses - like there were Newports - that did not have the batwing headstock, but the then more trad. Epi 2+2 one?

The concept of anything being "a little too phallic" is anathema to me. I am the owner of a  :gay: Warwick  :gay: Fortress Flashback!