Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

Would you do this?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Psycho Bass Guy:
Sansamp nails the basic tone and even models the progressive distortion of the amp being pushed pretty well. The only obvious difference is that the dynamic feel of the power section of the amp responding to playing can't be replicated just from a preamp. No big deal anyway since most SVT tones nowadays are set-volume and compressed. It'll sound great and generally the only folks who can tell the difference will be players with SVT's and even among those, they'd probably have to play through it to be able to tell. 

Tim Brosnan:
A lot of the motivation for this, is knowing that today's amps are no longer being built to last for years, but have a short life built into them. The Fender Rumble combo 500 I have is a nice sounding amp, but knowing that within a probably short period of years that it's gonna die, I thought the Sansamp with power amp would be a more versatile, and reliable rig in the long run.

Psycho Bass Guy:
The lightweight stuff is becoming more reliable every day, BUT the caveat remains that most modern amps are in a very real way, meant to be disposable and not serviceable. You see it in PA gear already. There are loads of old Crown and QSC lead sleds in their third and fourth decades of life chugging along faithfully while their current namesakes do well to last five. Surface mount component switching (supply, output section or both) amps are cheaper to produce and ship which equals higher profit margins even with lesser prices. That they don't last as long is a positive to manufacturers eager to make another sale. Need more proof? Cellphones.

gearHed289:
Ah, planned obsolescence. I hate that. My GC/Acoustic combo lasted 5 years. Meanwhile, I have a 42 year old SVT and 20 year old SVT III Pro that never let me down. Hope my Genz Benz lasts.

Granny Gremlin:
Apparently there are folks who will deal with fixing SMD stuff, but I pity the fool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version