Author Topic: NBD: Bach Precision 51  (Read 4448 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
NBD: Bach Precision 51
« on: January 01, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »
I just had the possibility to buy at a very cheap price a Bach Precision 51 upgraded with a Seymour Duncan pickup and by sure I could not resist.
I am at my holiday house in Southern Italy a Ned the seller was only 40 km from here.
I am very attracted by Precision 51 and telecaster basses and this is my fifth, sixth if I include a Squier TB with the humbucker. Well I have also a Cabronita with fidelitron pickup, I was almost forgetting.
The baby is very nicely done , two pieces contoured body, I think it is alder, a very thin and wide neck, it looks that nut width is Precision size, while the thickness of the neck is more similar to a jazz bass. It features a 2 saddles bridge. Finishing of the body is fine, much better than the finished of their Bach I own, and is very difficult to notice the joint between the two pieces. The neck is in maple, at least if looks like maple, with a maple fretboard. I have not doubt about the fretboard, while the veneer of the neck give me some doubt. Strangely enough the neck has a binding, same color of the fretboard and back, but quite evident.
It plays very nice, much similar to my Fender jap Precision 51, with lot of growl and basses. This bass and my Fender are much quieter than my other 51 basses that are equipped by Badsonics overwound pickups done by myself however is very authoritative in my small bass cab that I have available here.
I will compare to other ones when I will be back to Milan and will post some picture of the telecaster family

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:31:24 PM by tore00 »
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: NBD: Bach Precision 51
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 02:16:36 PM »
Congrats.
Those are nice workhorses!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »
That looks great!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
Great bass - simple, made to do exactly what a bass needs to do.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:54:03 PM »
Very nice!

I tried the MIJ 51 P about 8-10  years ago, really disliked the neck contour and the pickup was nothing special.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
Got to admit that I did like the looks of that one... but the butterscotch one that Rob had for a while...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »
I really don't like butterscotch. The candy  :puke: and the finish.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 04:04:02 PM »
The very first BaCH that I had was a 50s P model with mahogany body and mahogany neck. Oiled not lacquered.
Nice bass. But very heavy.

The whole BaCH adventure started there. I asked them if they made any other bass models with mahogany body and neck. They said we can build anything if you order at least 25 copies. So I asked if there were any other idiots who would like a NR Tbird... You know the rest of that story  8)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »
Yeah and I am one of the happy owners of them. My Bach 51 is not heavy, but is heavier than my Fender 51. As I said the neck is thin and wide, very different from the typical 51 baseball bat contour. The Seymour Duncan pickup plays very well.
I have also the original Bach pickup, that was replaced by previous owner because too weak. It has a strange construction, since it has non magnetic poles and a very weak magnetic bar on the bottom of the poles. As soon as I am back home will test the resistance and maybe replace the magnet with a stronger neodymium one....maybe the start of a new project
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:51:30 PM by tore00 »
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 12:14:38 AM »
I'd love to try one of those. The 50s P/Telecaster bass look has really grown on me over the years.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:32:07 AM »
I got one in maho(they said)  and I installed a Dark Star in place of the tele pup.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
Here she is
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 01:30:33 PM »
Wow, that's pretty.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »
I like that a lot!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 07:20:59 PM »
Beautiful!