Author Topic: Mudbucker taming  (Read 1431 times)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
Mudbucker taming
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »
So once upon a time i had the 66 eb3 front pickup plus a thunderbucker in the back position of my eb4l .Both nice sounds but i could not get them to mix.I wired the bass with a stereo jack -when it gets to my ampeg preamp the mudbucker goes in the normal input but the rear pickup goes through a behringer mic 100 preamp(cheap valve/tube preamp) and then in to the bright input of the preamp.This stops the pickups loading each other .I like it a lot-im getting the bulldozer bass and the full sound of the rear pickup finally hurrah!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:17:27 PM by clankenstein »
Louder bass!.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Mudbucker taming
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:39:03 PM »
Cool! That's similar to what Billy Sheehan did with his old P bass (The Wife).

We definitely need pics and soundclips though... ;)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:54:52 PM »
Ha ! Nothing new under the sun eh? Will get some sort of recording at Tuesday band practice and maybe pictures of the sheer horror of the implementation.
Louder bass!.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 12:15:51 AM »
Well the combination of the Mudbucker and Thunderbucker probably is!

Here's The Wife:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 04:55:30 PM »
That's the fun I'm having with my PC... the hybrid Mudbucker and the Lollar T'Bird pup... balancing the sound... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 07:37:54 PM »
I did consider an onboard low gain jfet preamp or a buffer on the thunderbucker using a buf 03 or equivalent to get around the loading problem .I got less enhusiastic when i started trying to find a + and_  9v or 18 volt schematic.I m not usualy a fan of 9volt preamps for bass.Proir to this i messed about with resistor dividers and 1:1 transformers but i didnt like the sound,all a bit vague compared to  the valve(actauly its hybrid)offboard preamp.Plus i had 2 of them so the budget was about right!The only downside for me is that i have to run a cable from the ampeg pre. to my me50b floor fx and one back to the poweramp coz i have a stereo socket and cable for the bass now.Ahh well..
Louder bass!.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 06:54:30 PM »
ok heres the sound- on the right channel.slighty munted strings brain farts and general ugly bits included for your listening pleasure.https://soundcloud.com/tony-parkinson/bass-tone
Louder bass!.