Author Topic: Could rosewood boards be on the way out?  (Read 3644 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Could rosewood boards be on the way out?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 08:51:27 AM »
Interesting timing on today's e-mail - http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5187bff6d4eeb00cbbb9c3d63&id=3b9add0adf&e=4c67a227e5

Makes you wonder if they knew. Not a bad price either.

Most of the 'mahogany' used these days is fake anyway, it's just an African species that vaguely resemble the real thing.

AFAIK there's nothing wrong with khaya, but it irritates me to see it called "African mahogany" or worse, yet, as just mahogany. And have Asian imports ever used genuine mahogany?

OTOH the Fiji plantation-grown mahogany is genuine bigleaf mahogany. Grown in a different place it won't have identical properties but it's genuine swietenia. This is supposedly what Gibson has been using since 2008.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »

AFAIK there's nothing wrong with khaya, but it irritates me to see it called "African mahogany" or worse, yet, as just mahogany.

In addition to allowing only Swietenia to be called 'Genuine Mahogany', other species should have to be called 'Faux mahogany'...or maybe 'Fauxogany' ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 10:50:44 PM »
I saw elsewhere that Warmoth has suspended overseas shipments of anything made with any of the affected woods until they get their permit application approved. Who knows how long that might be.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 11:34:48 PM »
Hmm... I always assumed my Greco was something other than genuine mahogany.... Anybody know what they would have used?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 03:52:43 PM »
Hmm... I always assumed my Greco was something other than genuine mahogany.... Anybody know what they would have used?

Possibly the same stuff as used in my '89 Orville by Gibson.  I'm pretty sure it was Honduras, the body was made of 5 strips that were joined very well..

I also have an early MIJ Yairi acoustic guitar that is definitely Honduras. All of it except the ebony bridge and fretboard.

EDIT: The top and braces are spruce, neck, sides and back are Honduras.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 06:41:37 AM by dadagoboi »

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 02:53:55 PM »

How about the Bachbirds?  What mahogany-like substance would they have been made from?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
How about the Bachbirds?  What mahogany-like substance would they have been made from?

Kahya, same as Lull TBirds.