Author Topic: 60's Kent Guitars & Basses  (Read 6846 times)

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
60's Kent Guitars & Basses
« on: November 25, 2016, 07:25:11 PM »
At some point in our musical tenure we all have owned a budget bass. My first bass in the mid 60's was a Tele-Star T2B (Kawai made) Semi-acoustic teardrop bass that my mom bought new for me. I played it for a couple of years and moved on to a Hofner 500/1 which I played for a few more years. When I bought my Hofner the store I bought it from in Toronto had just started receiving inventory of Kent 700 & 800 Series guitars and basses. I gotta say that I was really attracted to them, but having just owned a Japanese made Tele-Star (Kawai) I wanted something different so I bought the Hofner. Well those Kent's were always in the back of my mind, because they looked so cool with their triple layer binding and cool body shapes, plus they sounded better than any Japanese bass that I had ever heard before.

Over the past 20 years I've always kept my eye open for either a Kent 700 Series (solid body) or the 800 Series (semi-acoustic) and I've come across a few of them but they're usually pretty beat up and missing most of their original parts or have been heavily modified. A couple of weeks ago I happened upon a 1967 Kent Model 743 (30" short scale) in a tiny music store in a small town that's about an hours drive from my house. When I saw the bass I couldn't get over its condition and the fact that it wasn't missing any of its original parts I knew I had to grab it quick. Other than the strings it was 100% original including the soft shell case that came with it.

Turns out that a gentleman bought the bass new in 1967 and played it a few times then put it in its case and placed the case in the closet where it remained for the next 48 years. It was found by the gentlemen's daughter when she was cleaning out the closet. Her father had passed away and left her his estate. She ended up bringing it to the small store I mentioned and sold it to the store owner. He sat on it for a year before letting anyone know that he had it. Then recently he advertised it for sale and I saw the listing and immediately contacted him to ask him all the usual questions, then I went to see it. It was worth the drive because although it's an inexpensive 60's made Japanese made bass it's killer as you can see in the photos below that I took of it. Pickup rocker switches, foam mute pad under the bridge cover, 3-tone sunburst and tortoise shell pickguard, upper and lower Mahogany tug bars and those 2 Kent single coil pu's with their huge tone just add to the coolness of the bass. The fact that the neck is as straight, intonation is perfect and the frets are in the condition that they are is amazing for a 49 year old instrument.

I'll never gig this bass but I wouldn't hesitate to use it in the studio. I can honestly say that I'm really glad that I own it even though back in the day it was considered a beginners instrument and really didn't command any respect from musicians of that time period.

Anyone else owned an inexpensive Japanese 60's bass at some point in your life?

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: 60's Kent Guitars & Basses
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »
I've had a few of the Kay KB-1 and KB-2 models. Simple, basic, but fun to play and not bad basses.

This one was mine...

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »
My first bass was a sunburst Kent EB2/335 copy with two humbuckers (guitar sized). Strings (at best) 1/4" off the fretboard... I have looked for years for another one just because, but no luck.

BTW, if any of you have one, putting Model G DiMarzios in a hollow body bass is not a good idea.  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
Never owned one. A friend had a Kent thinline hollowbody that sounded great though. Unfortunately it was in an accident. Maybe I'll ask him if he still has the remains.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 10:28:36 PM »
One of these was my first bought bass.  It was around $80 new in 1963.  No trussrod!

I bought my '60 EBO and put the pickup  in the neck position, it was only about 1/4" thick and surface mounted.  Don't know what happened to the rest of it.

Apparently Jack Bruce also played one.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:09:38 AM »
Jack doesn't look to happy about it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
Jack doesn't look to happy about it.

I completely understand his unhappiness.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 04:32:21 PM »
Great score, Thorton! Love the looks!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 05:54:01 PM »
That really looks nice Thornton.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 01:25:42 AM »

Nice Looking bass.

In high school, my friend Clark played a Kent.

It was super, man !!  🙄

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »
I had a Japanese EB2/Rivoli copy made by a company called Grenn... next bass was the PC...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 04:45:42 PM »
I had an Ibanez bolt on Eb2d copy as my first bass.Around 1976.
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »
Nasty pic I have of me with mine, circa same year, Tony...

Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 03:05:11 PM »
      1976 on a visit to Singapore to see the Family-they made me cut of all of my hair .Oh the horror.The bass had a vestigal varitone that didnt help much.Looks like i had almost mastered G at that point!
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
 :mrgreen:

(checked date on mine... 1977)