Author Topic: 60's Kent Guitars & Basses  (Read 6848 times)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
Re: 60's Kent Guitars & Basses
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »
I got my Ibanez in a music shop full of copies-no Kents that i remember,was it a brand for export only?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:01:45 PM by clankenstein »
Louder bass!.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »
I got my Ibanez in a music shop full of copies-no Kents that i remenmber,was it a brand for export only?

Kent was a brand name of an importer in New York City, that's why you wouldn't have seen one new in New Zealand. They imported from more than one Japanese factory, and at one point in the early 60s imported Hagströms with the Kent brand name.

Apparently Jack Bruce also played one.

Getting back to this, the other day I saw the same pic on FB identified as a Zim Gar bass. Another NYC importer's brand name. Pretty sure it was made by Teisco.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
Ahhhhh...I see!
Louder bass!.

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 05:56:20 PM »
After a long time of looking I finally found a 1967 Kent 833 Violin Style bass a few weeks ago. It needed a major cleaning and a tuner replaced. It also needed to have the neck pickup rewound cause it was dead.

After a good cleaning and polishing with Virtuoso, picking up and installing a set of NOS exact replacement tuners and having the pickup rewound it's all back together playing and sounding great.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:04:30 AM »
Those have great style!  Nice.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

DAVE RICCI

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 08:36:35 AM »
I also have a Kent 833 bass that has a bad tuner. Could you please tell me where you were able to find replacement tuners. I've been searching the internet and am having a hard time finding what I'm looking for. Thanks

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »
I also have a Kent 833 bass that has a bad tuner. Could you please tell me where you were able to find replacement tuners. I've been searching the internet and am having a hard time finding what I'm looking for. Thanks

Most often, the answer is to set up an Ebay search and be patient.  I've waited months for stuff like that to turn up, but it usually does.

OTOH, a Kent has zero collector value, so if you find a full set that would fit in place and replace the originals, that would be a good option.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 06:37:53 AM »

Dave, I have a couple of spare original tuners and ferrules from an 833, which tuner are you needing?

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

DAVE RICCI

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 05:27:52 AM »
It's the "D" string that's the bad one.