Author Topic: Rare Ribbecke Bird  (Read 1296 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Rare Ribbecke Bird
« on: November 22, 2016, 08:24:56 AM »
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/5876973500.html

This is a relist, it's been on CL locally for months. Ribbecke guitars are rare enough and very expensive, this claims to be 1 of only 4 basses.

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Rare Ribbecke Bird
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 07:20:25 AM »
Quite a cool bass. Quite a strong Alembic vibe. Are those Bill Lawrence pickups? Not sure Craiglist is the best medium for offloading a rare, expensive bass.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:17:24 AM »
Could be, they look like guitar-size blade humbuckers. OTOH Ribbecke's work was so limited and expensive, they're probably custom wound to his specs, whoever made them.

Ribbecke is semi-retired now, but he takes on limited commissions for $25K and up. Hey, no problem, where's my checkbook? He designed an acoustic-electric bass for Bobby Vega in the early 00s, called the Halfling, and AFAIK they're still made by the Ribbecke company but that's his daughter's company.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:51:36 AM »
The (reversed) headstock styling works really well on that, but then again, I like the Spector headstock on a Thunderbird.
The future I come from no longer exists.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »

Cool bass...but it's heavier than I like..over 10 lbs.

Seller knows me from NAMM shows. He now runs a company making instrument cabs. Has some name bands using them.

He wanted to trade for my sunburst Gibby Les Paul Sig bass and guitar set but I din't go for it. I think the LP Sigs are a lot easier to move than a pricey Ribbecke TBird.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:11:58 PM by mc2NY »