Author Topic: Small Bass Amps  (Read 8508 times)

patman

• View Profile
Small Bass Amps
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:46:38 AM »
Was looking at GK amps

Would like to buy a small light amp...1 12 inch speaker...something light to replace my ancient Peavey behemoth that weighs 90 pounds.

Basically a stage monitor.  I always have a nice PA to work with.

GK offers some small light class D amps for extremely reasonable prices

They also offer the 150 watt MB 150S, which is priced at $700

Does anyone have experience with what the differences are, and why would I buy one over the other?

Thanks

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Small Bass Amps
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »
No experience, but a vote for a used Genz-Benz Shuttle docked on a G-B 10" or 12" cab.  Very nice package, light, big sound.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
I do not know the current class D GK amps, but I never cared for the MB-150.  It's fine with an acoustic group, but I would not want it as my only stage monitor if anywhere a drummer with any hitting power - I wouldn't be able to to hear myself, even if the audience could through a decent PA.
 I just thought there was neither enough power or lows to it.

Modern lightweight amps can have a LOT more power than that, and there are a lot of compact / light cabs on the market these days too. I'd second the vote for a GB shuttle head, I love mine.   I do not know their cabs though. 

Personally I use my shuttle on top of one or a pair of EA cabs - a little EA CXL110, which is certainly small but not very light, and a CXL112L, which is much louder and also bigger and heavier.  I confess I've never tried the 110 by itself with a full band; don't know if it could keep up by itself.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »
I've heard the buzz about the new Quilter Bass Block 800, but haven't heard it yet. 800W@4 ohms, $599, under 4 lbs.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 04:53:08 AM »
Roland has a couple of single 12 variations out there. I played a 60 or 80 watt one a few years ago and really liked it. I think the new ones are even a bit more powerful. They have a number of simulations to make it easy to get the sound you're looking for.
Rick

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 06:50:29 AM »
Wow-Those Quilters are small enough to fit on a pedalboard!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
I sold off my Black Widow equipped TNT 150 last winter & bought this lightweight Mark Bass setup. I have yet to find anything lighter that will handle all of my basses.

Next to it's bigger brother...............

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »
Well

I bought a used Ampeg American made B100R

A little heavier than I wanted, but small and sounds like I like an amp to sound

Probably paid too much , but oh well. Was in better than excellent shape visually...probably in a studio all it's life.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »
Nice, let us now how you like it! They look cool.  Does it sound portaflex-y as advertised?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »
They are relatively heavy but not that bad. If you get the sound you want, it's all good.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 10:49:36 AM »
I demoed it at a young kid's studio with his maybe Zon 6 string...was so crisp it put my teeth on edge...after looking on the net, I decided it was probably a Tobias...

I need to take it to rehearsal with my Gibson bass to get the true sound
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:42:43 AM by patman »

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 06:10:07 AM »
Took it to rehearsal...

Very warm pleasing tone. 

Sort of portaflexy, but more versatile...more mids...more volume, but less bottom than I remember my old B-15 having, but still plenty bottom, even for me.

Was able to get a good sound with little effort...able to go from Motown to slightly Jaco-ish, and everyplace in-between.  It's all good.

Handles the low B nicely.

Heavy....need to buy a cover, and some Ernie Ball casters

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 06:43:48 AM »
I'm glad you found a winner ;D. I didn't want to trash the GK class D amps because It's a matter of personal taste, but a few years ago, I waited for those things to hit the store and had my mind pretty much made up that's what I was going to buy. I'm a fan of GK stuff in general and always looked at them as a good bang for the buck, but their class D line was way underwhelming for me. I tried every one the had in store and they were so anemic I couldn't believe GK put their name on them. I did side by side comparisons with a number of amps and almost walked away with a Markbass.  Everything I played was head and shoulders better than the GK stuff :sad:. I held out and got a Genz Benz Shuttle a few months later and  to this day couldn't be happier ;D.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 12:12:14 PM »
I held out and got a Genz Benz Shuttle a few months later and  to this day couldn't be happier ;D.
Rick

Me, too!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »
I'm hoping Genzler comes out with a combo soon.