Author Topic: Peter Cook - A look in the attic/loft!  (Read 4170 times)

FlatEric

• View Profile
    • Flat Eric's Collection
Peter Cook - A look in the attic/loft!
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:52:44 AM »
Hi to all at LBO, especially Kenny!!

Where have all those squirrels gone!!!! ;) :mrgreen:

Peter and I have been trying to get another "get together" and it has finally arrived - going tomorrow!

I am taking my Axis Guitar, that is being rehomed to Chez Cook and I think he is more than a little excited!! ;)
http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/peter-cook-axis-guitar-one-of-only-8.html

We have often spoke about the stuff he had in his old attic - papers, drawings, customers requirements etc, etc.

Fingers crossed. . . . . I think he has dug it all out and we are going to go through it all!

I too, am just a little bit excited!

Will keep you posted.

Cheers. :)
Now a little more wiser. . . . .

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Peter Cook - A look in the attic/loft!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:34:43 AM »
Please thank him for the inspiration!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 04:44:43 PM »
The squirrels all turned Communist when we crossed the border...  :mrgreen:

Enjoy, and we'll be waiting for the report or a link to the relevant blog pages please... :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 04:47:50 PM »
   looking forward to the report!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
Good news! I hope he has plenty for you to see.

FlatEric

• View Profile
    • Flat Eric's Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:34:05 AM »
Hi to all out there.

I have posted this small sample of "stuff" up on here first, so this is a world exclusive on LBO!!  ;)

Well, what a brilliant day I had with Peter - the promised "sort through" of all the stuff that was in the attic/loft,
was more interesting that I could have imagined.
After a cup of tea (how English) and a bit of a natter, we started on a smaller box with diaries, note books, delivery notes etc.
Lots of entries for John (The Ox) and Pete, plus Clapton, Neil Murray, Lemmie/Fast Eddie and a whole host of others.

The second box, marked up as Ned C, was full of Ned Callan bits, as you would expect, as well as more copy delivery notes,
which on reading, quite shocked me at the quantities!

I never thought there were that many in circulation - and included were the serial numbers of a lot of them, along with the dates.
There were many more interesting items, which we had a sort through - with another tea, including some Polaroid shots
of a very young Peter Cook, playing a Firebird copy, prepared for CSL!

We also came across one of those typical tour jackets of the 70's and 80's, which Peter used to take to shows and apparently,
sold like hot cakes.

Anyone remember seeing one, got one?

Then the third box!
So many interesting bits and pieces to sort through and then. . . . .

What do you think this is?
Got it yet? Fans of John, I'm sure would spot this instantly - it had the whiff of "Garden Shed"
I was truly "Gobsmacked"!!!!! Yes, it's the real thing, trust me!! :mrgreen:

Also found a few layers down, was this! The bottom part caught my eye, because he mad two Firebird Twin Necks - mine and the one Del Bromham had. . . . was this entry relating to mine?
The parts at the top, obviously relate to the items shown above, if you hadn't already guessed!!!

This is just a fraction of it, in terms of details, notes, etc. - so we are going to have another go at it and try and bottom it, at some time!!

As I said at the top, a brilliant day!

As always, my request goes out to anyone who has/had a Peter Cook or Ned Callan, seen one/played one - would love to hear from you.

Cheers.  ;) :)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
Very impressive. Looking forward to the full story when you get it all sorted out.  :toast:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:45:29 PM »
  Absolutely fascinating!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

FlatEric

• View Profile
    • Flat Eric's Collection
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 05:03:59 AM »
Please thank him for the inspiration!

Hi.  :)

Peter is not aware of copies of his work - I did point it out to him when we first met but I think he had forgotten - certainly never looked into it.

When I metioned that there were copies of his Fenderbird and Explorerbird, he said "really" and then whilst he was chuckling said "is my cheque in the post?"
I have not yet shown him your images but will do on the next email.

Very impressive. Looking forward to the full story when you get it all sorted out.  :toast:

It's going to take some time, Dave - a lot to go through and quite a lot to tell. . . . enough to write a book!

Absolutely fascinating!

Absolutely!! I was there!
It was like one of those journies you take for pleasure and you always want to know what is around the next corner!

Kenny.

We found an old black and white pic of a Thunderbird Twin - Bass on top, guitar below - had the same shape head as yours.
I showed him the images of your Resto/Re-Build - he was most impressed and thought it looked very nice indeed!!  ;)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 07:23:32 AM »

"is my cheque in the post?"

Sadly, no...but tell him I'd be happy to forward 'cease and desist' correspondence from both Gisbon and Fneder claiming trademark infringement. ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:00:13 AM by dadagoboi »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »
I'm confused by the CSL TRC for the Firebird. I thought CSL was a Matsumoku brand? A friend of mine has a CSL Strat that is pretty nice for the era.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »
Sadly, no...but tell him I'd be happy to forward 'cease and desist' correspondence from both Gisbon and Fneder claiming trademark infringement. ;D
LMAO

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 10:57:28 PM »
I'm confused by the CSL TRC for the Firebird. I thought CSL was a Matsumoku brand? A friend of mine has a CSL Strat that is pretty nice for the era.

CSL = Charles Summerfield Ltd.

That is the CSL logo on the TRC. From Eric's description, seems it's a Firebird copy, not one that PC made.

FlatEric

• View Profile
    • Flat Eric's Collection
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 01:54:43 AM »
CSL = Charles Summerfield Ltd.

That is the CSL logo on the TRC. From Eric's description, seems it's a Firebird copy, not one that PC made.

Dave, Hi.

We had a lot to talk about, so there was a lot to remember but I seem to recall that this was one that Peter made, in order to make a copy for Summerfield. I will check this with him but if you look at the handwriting, it says "Pilot Model '73".
I have seen CSL Firebird Guitars but they ended up with a different TRC.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 07:00:32 AM »
Dave, Hi.

We had a lot to talk about, so there was a lot to remember but I seem to recall that this was one that Peter made, in order to make a copy for Summerfield. I will check this with him but if you look at the handwriting, it says "Pilot Model '73".
I have seen CSL Firebird Guitars but they ended up with a different TRC.

That makes sense to me.