Author Topic: Godin Shifter bass?  (Read 7198 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Godin Shifter bass?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2016, 05:18:07 PM »
That unbuffed ares is really odd. Never seen that before. Odd about the string ground too.

I don't understand the logic behind separate neck plates. AFAIK ski jump necks are a "feature" of traditional style truss rods, not how the neck is secured.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 07:28:46 AM »
I don't think Godin really understood the reasons behind ski-jumping in necks, and figured that an extra pair of screws would get the job done! this neck could still potentially ski-jump.  :mrgreen:

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »
I'm tempted to run a second ground wire to the bridge itself.

If I did that, I would be inclined to clip the original wire too, to reduce the chance of creating a ground loop.
I have heard conflicting things about whether ground loops in guitar wiring cause any actual problems -
but as long as you're in there, it couldn't hurt to be prudent.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »
That unbuffed ares is really odd. Never seen that before. Odd about the string ground too.

I don't understand the logic behind separate neck plates. AFAIK ski jump necks are a "feature" of traditional style truss rods, not how the neck is secured.

From what I understand ski jump is not relief (excessive or othwerwise) which is the slight bow in the neck you want for optimal playability, but rather an upward rise in the last few frets upon which the truss rod has no effect.

As such I suppose it is possible that 2 plates and 2 extra screws could have some effect on it; dunno.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
Presumably ski-jump necks tend to have headstock-end trussrod adjusters?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »
From what I understand ski jump is not relief (excessive or othwerwise) which is the slight bow in the neck you want for optimal playability, but rather an upward rise in the last few frets upon which the truss rod has no effect.

As such I suppose it is possible that 2 plates and 2 extra screws could have some effect on it; dunno.

An explanation: http://hazeguitars.com/blog/s-shaped-guitar-neck

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »
Yeah, that doesn't disagree with what I said.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »
Yeah, that doesn't disagree with what I said.

What he's saying -- and other repair people say -- is that it has to do with the way the traditional truss rod works. Extra screws are fine for more contact but I've never read of any repairmen saying it will prevent neck humps. The double-type rod supposedly prevents this since it works a different way.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »
So... I've drilled a bridge ground wire channel. I drilled down into the area under the bridge, then drilled in the direction of the generously proportioned control cavity. No dice! I had to drill a second hole in the direction of the bridge pickup route. I thought my drill bits were long enough, but apparently they aren't. I will fill the first hole...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 03:01:29 PM »
What he's saying -- and other repair people say -- is that it has to do with the way the traditional truss rod works. Extra screws are fine for more contact but I've never read of any repairmen saying it will prevent neck humps. The double-type rod supposedly prevents this since it works a different way.

OK, but neither did I say it would help (I gave a distinct "dunno") and you said ski jumps were a "feature" of truss rods, which implies desirability vs a problem or side effect.  Sorry, not trying to be snippy, but clarifying.