Author Topic: Godin Shifter bass?  (Read 7133 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Godin Shifter bass?
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:36:23 AM »
Hello all,

I'm looking at a potential trade. A chap in the Netherlands is looking to trade a 3-pickup Godin Shifter for my Mustang bass, plus a bit of cash on my end. I'm a bit attached to my Mustang, but it isn't quite working with my band, and I now have a Mike Dirnt Precision on 'full size P-bass' duties. I like the Mustang's neck width at the nut, which is nominally the same as the Shifter, but I'm finding it a bit too delicate to play. Minimal re-positioning of the right hand makes all the difference from supporting the band to making a 'whacky' percussive racket...

The Godin is a long-scale bass, and has three-pickups. I've been experimenting with multi-pickup tones a bit, recently.  Life is short and there is a dude out there who wants a Mustang, so should I go for it?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Godin Shifter bass?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:05:28 AM »
Godin makes quality instruments but much of the time they don't float my boat personally.  It does look like it's more interesting than the typical P copy fare; seems like an elongated body (like the Mustang, but maybe not as much) and a bit of Mosrite inspiration with the pickups.

I like the look of the Mustang a  bit more (as well as the scale). It's only got the one pickup, sure, but if you dig that sound (not personally familiar), there's no need to go all Ace Frehley to the other extreme (I love my Triumph, but the bridge pup is effectively a wired in spare).  If you don't, and this is a good trade (assuming reissue Mustang, a rather good one based on new retail price), then you could probably do worse, and there's gotta be a tone or 2 you're into on the Godin (of 6; 3 pups and a 2 position varitone switch - they really stress that on the product page, lol ).

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:11:21 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:06:01 AM »
And it isn't me... :)

I would keep the 'Stang, although I like those basses. I reviewed a pus-coloured one with three pickups. I dislike the PJ one. Too normal.

The three-pickup shifter is quite a big bass and on the heavy side. Not a problem for me. A manly bass:) Good looking. The looks remind me a bit of those Peavey T-basses. Not pretty but impressive. The pickups are P90 style and in that way more P than J. You could see the middle pickup as a P-pickup, the bridge pickup J-ish (all in al a bit like a PJ or or more a P-double J). The neck pickup makes it versatile and special. Warm, growly and great sounding, also in combination with the middle one. Of course never Gibson-ish, but warm for great old school soul and ballads. A real under-appreciated bass and I hate it that they went the easy way to first make a PJ version and letting the good one dissappear.

Still I would chose for the Mustang, haha!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:17:47 AM »
Agreed; I wouldn't even consider a standard P/J version.  This one is growing on me - might have to go see if anyone local has one, just to see.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 06:26:56 AM »
Not a fan of PJ basses at all, so only after the 3-pickup variant. I was disappointed by Godin's regressive policy of adopting the standard PJ configuration, but then again G&L and Music Man have gone down this route recently. More basses of all types need a pickup right down the end of the neck, period. Gibson and Rickenbacker got it right.  ;)

I think I maybe worked myself up a bit about getting a Mustang.   :mrgreen: In an ideal world I would have space and money for 'em all (aka doing a Uwe). I'm actually looking to buy a car in the next few months, so spare bass cash just isn't there.

It's a slightly odd turn of events, really. I traded a 2005 Mexican Precision bass for the Mike Dirnt bass. The Mexican bass is the reason I got the Mustang. Having now got the Dirnt, it doesn't really seem to be the scale length or nut width that bothered me about the Mexican bass, simply that the neck was surprisingly shallow, fret-to-skunk-stripe. The Dirnt neck is like a baseball bat, split down the middle. I thought it might be an issue, but it is surprisingly comfy and 'faster' than the Mex bass. My left hand wasn't digging the Mex neck but, if anything, the Mustang bass was a step too far the other way. For the first few weeks the Mustang cured all the ills of the Mexican Precision, but then I noticed that my right hand was getting cramped up, in part because of the lack of contouring and in part because the string spacing is narrower. Also, as mentioned before, right hand placement makes a lot of difference in a very small sphere of influence.

The odd thing is that I was way more certain about what I wanted in a bass five years ago, and now I'm starting to doubt everything.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 07:42:32 AM »
Godins are well made. I've played a 3-pickup Shifter two or three years ago, nothing awe inspiring about it but it sounded good and it's versatile so it might fit your needs. Their basses don't command high resale, at least over here, so be sure you're getting enough value for your Mustang.

Not a fan of PJ basses at all, so only after the 3-pickup variant. I was disappointed by Godin's regressive policy of adopting the standard PJ configuration, but then again G&L and Music Man have gone down this route recently. More basses of all types need a pickup right down the end of the neck, period. Gibson and Rickenbacker got it right.  ;)

I think I maybe worked myself up a bit about getting a Mustang.   :mrgreen: In an ideal world I would have space and money for 'em all (aka doing a Uwe). I'm actually looking to buy a car in the next few months, so spare bass cash just isn't there.

It's a slightly odd turn of events, really. I traded a 2005 Mexican Precision bass for the Mike Dirnt bass. The Mexican bass is the reason I got the Mustang. Having now got the Dirnt, it doesn't really seem to be the scale length or nut width that bothered me about the Mexican bass, simply that the neck was surprisingly shallow, fret-to-skunk-stripe. The Dirnt neck is like a baseball bat, split down the middle. I thought it might be an issue, but it is surprisingly comfy and 'faster' than the Mex bass. My left hand wasn't digging the Mex neck but, if anything, the Mustang bass was a step too far the other way. For the first few weeks the Mustang cured all the ills of the Mexican Precision, but then I noticed that my right hand was getting cramped up, in part because of the lack of contouring and in part because the string spacing is narrower. Also, as mentioned before, right hand placement makes a lot of difference in a very small sphere of influence.

The odd thing is that I was way more certain about what I wanted in a bass five years ago, and now I'm starting to doubt everything.

I hear you. My tastes in basses has changed over the years. You buy something and it works for a while then you discover something isn't quite right for what you need. Now I think I know, but it's taken me years.

FYI, G&L has been making the SB-2 (P/J) since the early 80s. I think they were doing it before Fender. The Musicman is new, and I predict it won't last long. Nothing wrong with a P/J but the world doesn't need more of it.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »
Looks like the Godin is on, and the Mustang is going on holiday to the Netherlands. I know the previous owner wasn't the first, so I would love to see its journey on the map.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 03:44:32 PM »
Music Man have gone down this route recently

That's just...  I can't even  ...  ugh, ugh, ugh.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 04:16:51 PM »
Whatever moves you.  I've increasingly become a fan of short scale, and the necks on the Mustang/Bronco series fit me very well indeed. I love the fit, the light weight and the necks. 

But ya gotta play what moves ya.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 10:34:12 PM »
That's just...  I can't even  ...  ugh, ugh, ugh.

Here you go. Looks sort of like a P, sort of like a J, only much uglier than either. Street price $1699.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5AhTJ_uJIE

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 11:57:56 PM »
Wow, that caprice bass have the outline of my '72 Aria Diamond 1820 (same as Epiphone ET-280).
Great work, musicman :sad:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 07:56:22 AM »
Here you go. Looks sort of like a P, sort of like a J, only much uglier than either. Street price $1699.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5AhTJ_uJIE

This is quickly becoming the "Post pics of ugly pickups" thread.  :puke:

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »
And it isn't me... :)

I would keep the 'Stang, although I like those basses. I reviewed a pus-coloured one with three pickups. I dislike the PJ one. Too normal.

Still I would chose for the Mustang, haha!

Pus color is common in certain wards.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »
I have no problem with P/J basses per se. (I own one!)  But somehow it bothers me when a company that has long been associated with an iconic pickup design of their own goes that route.

What next? A Gibson P/J? A Rickenbacker P/J???
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy