Author Topic: Gaga buys Zappa  (Read 3559 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
Gaga buys Zappa
« on: October 24, 2016, 04:21:03 PM »
Or at least his house anyway.  I remember the house sale coming up in one of those Dweezil interviews of late but didn't know until I read this that Lady Gaga was the buyer.  As a studio nerd I hope she restores it right, but i know nothing about her really and dont have much faith. That said, I was shocked to read in the article she actually knew what a compressor was...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-lady-gaga-on-buying-frank-zappas-house-pussy-glue-w446478

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gaga buys Zappa
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:39:35 PM »
Definitely not a fan of her music or her act, but from what I've read, she knows what she's doing.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 05:25:31 AM »
I thought when I read this she had bought the rights to his music! Which wouldn't have surprised me, ecelectic as she is, but given the limited amount of airplay of Zappa's music it would have been a labor of love investement, not a financial one.

But it's only the house, I see. She probably feels an aura there. She is the first female Zappa fan I've heard of, all the people at school who were dedicated Zappaists were guys - without girlfriends, of course, though I never worked out the hen or egg question to that correlation.  :mrgreen:

I like Lady Gaga, she is kind of to pop music what Andy Warhol was to modern art and has her heart in the right (i.e. left!) places. 8) Not bad acting in "American Horror Story: Hotel" either though Denis O'Hare's sumptuous performance as Liz can't be beat.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:58:49 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 06:51:38 AM »
I was shocked to read in the article she actually knew what a compressor was...

You kiddin me; have you heard any of her songs?  Compression on everything.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:13:45 PM »
I've heard the first minute of a few but usually don't make it all the way through  ;D  Not knowing a lot about her I had assumed she was just your average clueless manufactured pop princess but it seems she actually has some musical chops/background. I may not care for her music but have to respect that.

Now the visual Warhol-esque side of her I could probably do without, but that just probably means I'm getting too old for meat dresses and hats that look like Sputnik.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 05:30:14 AM »
She is completely her own creation under her own rules. Even more than Madonna who even in her most radical changes still pandered more to what she perceived the public as wanting.

And as a Deep Purple fan I forgive her some of her more blatant sins of youth (also featuring: why vocal chords are like vaginas):

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:59:24 AM by uwe »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 07:29:40 AM »
New album is kinda nice. Rock, singer-songwriter and even country-ish

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 08:14:22 AM »
I wasn't even aware of that - tells you how much out of the loop I am!  :-[ I just ordered it.

Is it a saving grace that I am also the proud owner of the new ltd. ed. Ian Hunter box set "Stranded in Reality" by Proper Records (great name for a label, they also have Nick Lowe) with - wait for it ... - 30 CDs (sic!) of his solo career at a (alas!) "baby boomer reassuringly expensive" price?  8) (In connection with Ian Hunter, only an emoticon with shades does it!)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:20:45 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »
She was just another female-singer-songwriter-with-piano going nowhere when she decided to recreate herself. IMHO there's till nothing inspiring about her music but you have to credit her marketing skill.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 03:48:47 AM »
At first I thought she was just another publicity seeking train wreck, and the she did her bit with Tony Bennet. I liked it. I'll give her a shot. She has a good voice, she's obviously versatile and although she has yet to do anything that really pushes my buttons, I'm OK with her.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »
At first I thought she was just another publicity seeking train wreck, and the she did her bit with Tony Bennet. I liked it. I'll give her a shot. She has a good voice, she's obviously versatile and although she has yet to do anything that really pushes my buttons, I'm OK with her.
Rick

That's kind of how I regard her. She's clearly creative and versatile. IMO when Tony Bennett performs with her, it added a stamp of credibility about her singing skills.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 11:23:48 AM »
I think she's a solid musician and a pretty decent singer who does exactly what she wants. I just really wish she had more interesting taste in songs, she really likes to write by-the-numbers pop.  I'm pretty sure that's a deliberate choice, not an accident of her limitations.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »
Having heard a couple of her older (pre-Gaga) songs, I think she is fairly limited and an ordinary songwriter. Nothing wrong with that as long as her fans are pleased.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 11:30:35 PM »
I like Lady Gaga. She's Madonna 2.0, but with actual musical talent. What can I say? I've got a sweet tooth for chick sugar pop.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 02:45:35 AM »
I disagree a little bit with Dave, saying she's fairly limited and an ordinary songwriter. When I saw this on Dutch TV years ago, I really thought she was more like the new Freddie Mercury (*) than the new Madonna. Her singing, her piano playing, especially her timing and the way she turns a fairly simple popsong into something special. I still love to watch this vid.

(*) I'm a big Queen fan, I think Freddie is far above a lot of singers I dislike any other singer with Queen, but I think Gaga could do it.