Author Topic: blasphemy-o-sound  (Read 6975 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: blasphemy-o-sound
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 07:29:11 AM »
Jim De Cola of Gibson designed the Bass humbucker for the EB14 and Thunderbird.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 10:37:35 AM »
Gibson still makes their own guitar pickups, and the traditional bass pickups were made in house. No reason to think they would farm out the DeCola-designed bass pickup, although you never know with Gibson.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 02:18:20 PM »
I just figured Henry J would be the biz schooltype to outsource stuff like that (non-core business) for costs saving reasons.  They are using other name brands of pickup in some guitar models after all.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »
I'm always surprised at how melodic Cliff's bass solos were. The tone on that video is quite unusual. It is a little like the wah is also somehow controlling the level of the distortion, so it is a blend of clean with a rising/lowering distortion and wah effect. Not perhaps my favorite tone, but it is definitely the Cliff tone. I've heard a few bootlegs where he used an octave effect alongside all the other stuff.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »
I liked that a lot, really tasteful and melodic. I never heard one of his bass solos in such good quality. Impressed. I knew he was very good, but this exceeded expectations.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 10:14:51 AM »
Cliff was so good, Rickenbacker should make a signature bass for him. Mudbucker and all! I bet it would sell.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 03:50:06 PM »
With onboard distortion! Cliffenbacker.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 06:13:36 PM »
I'm always surprised at how melodic Cliff's bass solos were. The tone on that video is quite unusual. It is a little like the wah is also somehow controlling the level of the distortion,

It sounds like maybe the wah is after (some of?) the distortion, so that it filters out varying amounts of the treble.

I think you're right that there's blending going on too.
Possibly via routing to different amps?  Otherwise all that fuzz would obscure the attack when he plays more percussively.  Not sure if the clean signal is really clean or just less distorted :)

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 12:20:34 AM »
I think it's the camera mic limiting the sound on the louder distorted parts making the cleaner ones louder on tape at least.  That is no board feed.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 07:52:25 AM »
I think it's the camera mic limiting the sound on the louder distorted parts making the cleaner ones louder on tape at least.  That is no board feed.

I can't listen to it at the moment as I've misplaced my headphones at work. From memory it sounded like a mix of open-mic audio and a DI feed of some sort. A slightly nasty stereo image, again from memory.

Cliff's early pedal setup was, apparently a Morley Power Wah Boost and an MXR Limiter. Fairly early on his Rick gained a Gibson EB pickup at the neck, a Seymour Duncan Jazz bass pickup in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan stacked Stratocaster pickup in the mute cavity of the bridge itself. I've not discovered how any of this was wired up, however.

There should be an image at the end of the following URL. In it you see the two pedals, the unmodded Rickenbacker, and an amp stack with both a Peavey Mk IV head and a Sunn (Beta?) head as well. Anybody good at working out which output jack Cliff is using?

http://images.equipboard.com/uploads/source/image/13422/big_f55b2e.png?v=1433263706

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 07:54:30 AM »
I believe he used a Morley Power Wah Fuzz. Not sure how those work, but I imagine the pedal action might be able to affect the distortion part along with the wah?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 08:24:16 AM »
There is a hand-written note floating around that Cliff made for a fan. In it he mentions the Morley Power Wah Boost, rather than the fuzz derivative. I think he used a Muff at some point? In the following picture his signal chain looks like an Ibanez TS into a/the Morley then into the MXR Limiter:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 07:42:16 AM »
When I looked up power wah fuzz on YouTube, I came across someone who was saying that that was his original pedal, but then he switched to the power wah boost and added a tube screamer.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »
The Power Wah Boost is pretty extreme. I think it explains the tone in the video at the start of this thread. Check out the demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrQJg-ZIFiE

At extremes the wah basically filters out so much that you hear next to no signal passing through. I think Cliff was using the Ric-O-Sound output on his bass, with the neck pickup driving an OD or fuzz through the Morley Power Wah Boost. His bridge pickup is running through a limiter (MXR or early Boss?) into a seperate amp. We are hearing the bridge pickup (maybe just a Jazz pickup, or with the Strat pickup in the bridge cavity as well), all the the time. The Morley is so extreme as to be basically mixing the dirt in and out of the signal, as well as that wild wah tone.

I like Cliff's slightly exasperated little hand gesture when he wants Lars to come in on the drums. It is almost like he wanted Lars to be more of a musician and to be following his little bass suite, but instead it was back to rehearsal room visual cues.  :o Who knows!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2016, 02:29:26 AM »
Amtech made a comment about "Mudified" instruments... obviously there's Mel Schacher's Jazz... anyone other than me with one in a Thunderbird...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...