Author Topic: refixing fingerboard  (Read 4543 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
refixing fingerboard
« on: September 19, 2016, 04:57:12 AM »
one of my students dropped my FrankenPaul on its head and the fretboard has come loose
 I'm presuming titebond but want to check there isn't a fretboard specific glue

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: refixing fingerboard
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
That's it and clamps...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:30:59 PM »
more clamps than tou might imagine.
Consider a small nail in each end of the neck, cut off and sharpened.  Press the fingerboard onto these pins to prevent it board sliding with the clamps.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
... And shaped clamps on the back...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 11:59:22 PM »
it hasnt come off completely, just lifted a little bit at the nut end,

I only noticed it cos i was trying to find the source of the slight buzz.

was planning on just pulling the crack open and syringing in some diluted titebond. 

I have loads of clamps but not shaped, I can lay my hands on 3 or 4 capos, would they be preferable? or not enough squeeze?

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 05:49:49 AM »
You can make neck support blocks out of a scrap 2x4.  I've also had luck just using clamps with a plastic end protector rather than having a curved block for the clamp.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:21:05 AM »
    Try and clean the old glue off, difficult without pulling the fingerboard off. Get a Exacto knife or other thin blade in there and do the best you can, no need to go  nuts. Also use some kind of pad with the blocks and clamps, I use folded pieces of leather. Just get as much Tite Bond in there as you can,  clamp it up , clean up the excess,  leave clamped for 24 hours and your good as new.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 10:48:03 PM »
I have no luthiers experience, but I once managed to get some glue out in a similar situation where I had trouble with getting a scraper between board and neck. I slightly heated the neck area, then the fingerboard. Then I slid a piece of sanding paper in the crack, and 'pulled' out glue that way.  This was a cheap instrument, and I went at it without fear when heating. So I got out a lot of glue and it turned out nice.

In retrospect, I think it might be risky, as you can heat too much and just loosen more of the fingerboard. 

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 06:07:04 PM »
If it is just a crack and not loaded with crud try squeezing it closed dry to see if it will even close.  I would not dilute tightbond but rather wick a drop of CA.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 12:30:35 PM »
If it is just a crack and not loaded with crud try squeezing it closed dry to see if it will even close.  I would not dilute tightbond but rather wick a drop of CA.

aaargh was gonna attempt it this weekend, now i don't know which to use titebond or CA?

its a real hairline lift, you have to really look to see the crack, its only evident as a slight buzz when strummed  which goes away if the board is pushed down

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 05:11:17 PM »
Either will work. if it's that tiny a crack, I'd suggest using a fine-tip syringe to inject the adhesive regardless of which you use.  Titebond gives you working time - superglue doesn't give you more than a few seconds to clamp it.  But I have used it to secure a Casady fingerboard which sounds similar, and it worked fine.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 04:51:48 AM »
  Franklin's Tire bond gets my vote. If you don't have a syringe gently open up the crack and pump the glue in with your finger tip using a circular motion then clamp for 24 hours. Don't forget to wipe the excess off with a damp rag before it dries. Good luck!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 01:20:52 PM »
titebond worked ok

odd thing, it either shrunk the fretboard or swelled the neck, as now the neck is about a quarter of a Mil proud of the board both sides, no biggy for a beaten up old workhorse like this but would be a pain if it was on a restoration project

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »
titebond worked ok

odd thing, it either shrunk the fretboard or swelled the neck, as now the neck is about a quarter of a Mil proud of the board both sides, no biggy for a beaten up old workhorse like this but would be a pain if it was on a restoration project
Almost sounds as if it were a lot more loose that it seemed.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 08:36:08 PM »
It's the neck swelling, not the fretboard shrinking. Titebond is water based. Swelling is possible depending on several factors.