Author Topic: Eb0 copy  (Read 7635 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Eb0 copy
« on: September 17, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Eb0 copy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »
No never seen it before. But it looks pretty cool.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:09:15 PM »
We had a three page thread about it back in March http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=10030.0

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 11:39:45 PM »
Ah I see why I missed that. I must have thought that was just another Kiss topic, bound to derail into the Ritchie Blackmore trap.  ;)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 12:20:40 AM »
Thanks, Dave! Completely missed that link. Agree with the points in it, concerning the stupidity in making the beat-up look, the placing of the pup, the pickguard style, and the price of it. But the TV-yellow looks nice on that bass, doesn't it!?! (Always look for the things that makes the stuff nice http://bassoutpost.com/Smileys/default/tongue.gif )
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:18:30 AM by Stjofön Big »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:17:34 PM »
Ah I see why I missed that. I must have thought that was just another Kiss topic, bound to derail into the Ritchie Blackmore trap.  ;)

A reasonable assumption.  :mrgreen:

Thanks, Dave! Completely missed that link. Agree with the points in it, concerning the stupidity in making the beat-up look, the placing of the pup, the pickguard style, and the price of it. But the TV-yellow looks nice on that bass, doesn't it!?! (Always look for the think that makes the stuff nicehttp://bassoutpost.com/Smileys/default/tongue.gif )

Yes it does. They do have the color done correctly, it does have the limed mahogany look of the originals. It's odd that they're using African mahogany though, especially at the prices they charge.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 03:29:04 AM »
Never seen one, but I think the placing of the pickup is a good thing. When I was about 15 years old I had a custom EBO with the body reshaped and the pickup moved back to about the same place where this one is. In my opinion, that is the best thing you could do to an EBO. It took a lot of the bottom end mud out of the sound and provided a bit more treble bite and turned the mud into more of a growl. I had a great Jack Bruce kind of sound with that old bass. I also had a similarly equipped Epiphone that was completely stock, with the same pickup way up toward the neck, so I had a good source for a side to side comparison. In my opinion, moving the pickup back toward the bridge was a huge improvement.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 08:49:36 PM »
That's no mudbucker on this bass. Looks like a T-bird pickup although there's no telling what's under that cover.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 03:29:29 AM »
That's no mudbucker on this bass. Looks like a T-bird pickup although there's no telling what's under that cover.

No, it doesn't look like   a mudbucker , but in my opinion Gibson put the pickup too close to the neck on both the EBO and the EB2.
With a mudbucker, I would move the pickup way back toward the bridge. With anything else I would still move it back a few inches.
It cleans the sound up considerably, particularly with mudbucker.
Rick

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 07:09:27 AM »
Interesting. I never played one of the mid-70s EB0 basses with the mudbucker in the middle, but I had always assumed with a pickup that has essentially no treble and barely even any mids, that it wouldn't matter much where you put it!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 10:18:47 AM »
I've played a few '73-'75 EB-0/EB-3s. The mudbucker doesn't have much going on above 1Khz but it is there and you will hear more of it in the middle position. OTOH I wouldn't call it cleaned up b/c it's just way too overwound to be clean.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 10:52:46 PM »
I've played a few '73-'75 EB-0/EB-3s. The mudbucker doesn't have much going on above 1Khz but it is there and you will hear more of it in the middle position. OTOH I wouldn't call it cleaned up b/c it's just way too overwound to be clean.

That is my impression too. Not cleaner, the lows/sublows are still there, but it feels more focused. It's a mud with a twist of Pee!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 03:39:06 AM »
That is my impression too. Not cleaner, the lows/sublows are still there, but it feels more focused. It's a mud with a twist of Pee!

I would say that is a good description.
Rick

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:53:00 AM »
I'm building something like this at the moment.
Long scale.

I'm in doubt if I should use Kluson Banjo/bass tuners or not.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 04:59:20 AM »
Beautiful, Rob! Can you give us the process behind your choice of pup?
Body and neck, did you make them yourself?
All in all, a really beautiful piece!