Author Topic: ? for the NR experts  (Read 4892 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: ? for the NR experts
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 11:39:32 AM »
   I think some of my birds have slot heads. Lemme check.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 07:13:33 AM »
   I think some of my birds have slot heads. Lemme check.

This confused me for a second. Slot head... bird.... What? Oh, the screws...  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
Slothead is spelled with an "o", not a "u", ok?!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 06:42:06 PM »
Nice!

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 04:56:33 PM »
I had hoped that the case for my reissue NR would fit the '67 so i could have a safer case option for gigs.  Turns out the vintage bass is too long, does anyone know of a good modern alternative to the original case?  Mine 67 case is in pretty rough shape and doesn't offer much in the way of protection.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 05:36:16 AM »
I had hoped that the case for my reissue NR would fit the '67 so i could have a safer case option for gigs.  Turns out the vintage bass is too long, does anyone know of a good modern alternative to the original case?  Mine 67 case is in pretty rough shape and doesn't offer much in the way of protection.

I converted an Epi Reverse case following Rob's (Basvarken) example.  There's enough room for a full sized Gibby headstock.  You just pull back the liner, remove the styro, flip it over, trim as necessary, and glue the liner back in...ish.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 05:20:03 AM »
Ah, perfect and way cheaper than having something built!  I actually have an extra Gibson reverse TB case, I may play around with it and see if can do the same thing.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 05:40:54 AM »
Ah, perfect and way cheaper than having something built!  I actually have an extra Gibson reverse TB case, I may play around with it and see if can do the same thing.

That should work, my Gibby cases are huge. I prefer the Epis, a lot easier to handle.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 08:09:54 AM »
That should work, my Gibby cases are huge. I prefer the Epis, a lot easier to handle.

I briefly had an Epi Explorer, and the case was noticeably smaller than the 2013 Gibson I'd had previously. As a case designer of 20 years, I just don't get some of the things I see out there...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 09:38:08 AM »
The current Epiphone Thunderbird case is a slightly different design. Trapezoid shaped.
One of my customers bought one last week for his BaCH Fenderbird.
But I do think the NR would still fit if you flip the interior like Carlo and I did.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 10:02:25 AM »
The current Epiphone Thunderbird case is a slightly different design. Trapezoid shaped.
One of my customers bought one last week for his BaCH Fenderbird.
But I do think the NR would still fit if you flip the interior like Carlo and I did.

The Bach 'Fenderbird' is about the same overall length as a modern Thunderbird, unlike the original JAE  FenderBird (and my replica) which is a few inches shorter due to the compact body.  My TBird style basses and I'm assuming the JAE original fit in a Fender Jazz sized case.

Because of that compactness they're less prone to neckdive than the 'lets just take a TBird body and stick a Fneder neck on it' basses.

I briefly had an Epi Explorer, and the case was noticeably smaller than the 2013 Gibson I'd had previously. As a case designer of 20 years, I just don't get some of the things I see out there...

The only off the shelf Explorer bass case currently on the market I know of is the Dean which leaves around five inches between the end of the headstock and the case.  Ungodly huge.

That's why my EBirds are priced with a gig bag instead of a case.  I've had three customers add the Dean case, the rest opt for the bag.  One of the three immediately bought a bag after receiving his bass.