Author Topic: ? for the NR experts  (Read 4894 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
? for the NR experts
« on: September 17, 2016, 10:07:32 AM »
After years of lusting and dreaming I was finally able to round out my Thunderbird iv collection with the missing link: an original issue Non-reverse.  The bass is in really decent condition with only two significant issues, 1) a gummy feeling tone pot (hopefully i can clean and recover)  and 2) a classic crescent moon hairline crack on the tuner side of the headstock.   With string tension the crack opened up just enough to get a syringe needle in and is now glued/clamped (titebond).

on to my query for the experts..one thing that has me puzzled is the pickup screws. They're a domed head flathead wood screw.

I expected to find phillps heads just like my '64.  After looking online Ive found photos of NRs with both this type as well phillips versions.  By any chance are they original? or likely a common hardware store replacement? 

& yes, Im being overly picky...maybe its a mild case of OCD  ;D

66Atlas

• View Profile
Re: ? for the NR experts
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 10:08:46 AM »
Oh, i should add, its a '67 serial number bass.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »
Should be an oval head Phillips wood screw. Probably a quick Hardware replacement.
Fender Jaguar Pickup Screws are the closest thing I have found to the originals.. The head is a hair bigger but not too much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Fender-American-Vintage-Jaguar-Bass-VI-Pickup-Mounting-Screws-005-4497-049-/322227752770?hash=item4b06454f42:g:P-wAAOSwGIRXZDyY

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 02:32:12 PM »
Baz is a perfectionist and the Devil is in the detail... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 06:25:31 PM »
Thanks Baz, I just ordered a set off your link.  I'm betting I'll have to to "toothpick" the current holes since the current screws seem a little bigger than the ones in my 64.

Its crazy that I obsess over whether or not screws are correct but there are worse hobbies.  :-\

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 12:19:38 PM »
Installed a badbird and got all strung up today.  The neck repair came out great and now I just need to clean up the tone pot. I assumed the neck would be a lot like my Embassy but it seems a little beefier.

Anyway its a rainy day in Atlanta so I decided to take a photo of all the 'birds (including the embassy as an honorable mention)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 12:38:27 PM »
Nice family shot!

I'm curious, why didn't you compare the pickup screws on your Embassy and Reverse to the ones on the NR to  judge originality?  They both look pretty complete.  BTW the necks on my pair of 64s are very different, IV is chunky and II skinny.  I prefer chunky.

Also interested to see how the screws you ordered compare.  I use these, they have a slightly smaller head than Gibson originals.

https://www.allparts.com/GS-3312-001-Pack-of-4-Nickel-Soap-Bar-Pickup-Mounting-Screws_p_1828.html

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks! It's been a lifelong passion to put these together.

I actually did compare the screws and my initial assumption was that the 67's were replacements.  A couple things made me second guess myself. First they are nicely aged/corroded even behind the pickups and second they're chrome which I thought was a little strange for a hardware store fix.  That and everything else seems 100% original.  After a bit of googling I also found a couple photos of NRs with the same type of flathead screws.  With all the screwy things Gibson has done over the years nothing would surprise me!

It's interesting how much the necks vary even on the same year basses. My 64 is one of the thinnest Ive seen on a Thunderbird.

I'll post some comparison pics with the new screws when I get them. No matter what screws are on it, its a killer bass!

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »

Any chance you might considering adopting me when my mum pops her clogs?  While she's got a few years left in the tank, I will be an orphan and figure it might be prudent to start the search sooner rather than later.

Yours hopefully
Paul
The future I come from no longer exists.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »
Very nice collection you have there!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »
Impressive collection.  :thumbsup:

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 05:16:40 AM »
Baz is a perfectionist and the Devil is in the detail... ;)

Thanks! It''s a Blessing and a Curse....I have used the ones Carlo uses as well. Hey...Love that '64 IV....I would almost trade my 1990 Tom Petersson Hamer Thunderbird 8 string bass for that T Bird!!!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 09:02:30 AM »
...Love that '64 IV....I would almost trade my 1990 Tom Petersson Hamer Thunderbird 8 string bass for that T Bird!!!

Nah, it's worth more in parts.  ;D ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »
Upper fret access is overrated.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 11:04:10 AM »
99% agreed, though when my band used to cover "The Real Me", I found it more than a little hard to play the 3rd bar on a standard reverse Thunderbird :-)   Literally just that one darn note of one song.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy