Author Topic: string spacing issues ripper/guild pups/hipshot? who knows?  (Read 3484 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
string spacing issues ripper/guild pups/hipshot? who knows?
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:47:49 AM »
ok dudes, my favorite bass is my 76 Ripper with guild pups. though the bridge pup doesn't perfectly line up (where the neck does) part of this is due to me installing them myself with less than ideal results. part may due to my 3 point not being the original (says "made in Japan" on bottom) and could be a hair narrower than the OG Schaller. since im looking to buy a second ripper (getting rid of most other basses) i want to set up 2 the same. not sure what to do. should i find different pups (maybe mudbuckers, darkstars or t-40 pups) any ways can any one who has proper measuring tools give me spacing measurements of 1. hipshot 3point replacement bridge. 2. guild humbuckers . since i have 1 T-40 pup i was also toying with the idea of running guilds in the neck and t-40's in the bridge.(which will require finding a shorter"front" pup ring for the guild and another t-40 pup)  or any suggestions? i love the aggressive sound of the guilds but open to other ideas.
p.s. i love chrome. sorry to ramble on. as soon as i sell a few things i'm hoping to buy Terry's Ripper (if still available)
basically i want 2 aggressive ass Rippers with cool chrome pups.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
Re: string spacing issues ripper/guild pups/hipshot? who knows?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:02:57 AM »
these are "baritone guitar pups but may work considering i use a dirty "Lemmy-ish tone" but with more bottom

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=impulse
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »
maybe i'll just get some TBird pups. i do love the sound of my LPB-1. who makes the most aggressive sounding replicas?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »
maybe i'll just get some TBird pups.

That's what I was thinking when you said aggressive and chrome. Interesting that you describe the Guild pups as aggressive. I had those on a '73 JS II and they were pretty muddy (in a good way). I guess with the Gibson being long scale, different woods, and different pickup positioning, they're bound to sound quite a bit different.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »
maybe i'll just get some TBird pups. i do love the sound of my LPB-1. who makes the most aggressive sounding replicas?

ThunderBucker 66 'S' from Thunderbuckerranch.com

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 10:18:18 AM »
She's still available and no plans to list it anywhere anytime soon,  Good luck with selling off the other stuff  8)

& I believe mine to still have the original bridge for measurements sake.  Thunderbuckers would look great IMHO.

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »
ThunderBucker 66 'S' from Thunderbuckerranch.com
What is the difference between the "s" and the other 66?

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »
That's what I was thinking when you said aggressive and chrome. Interesting that you describe the Guild pups as aggressive. I had those on a '73 JS II and they were pretty muddy (in a good way). I guess with the Gibson being long scale, different woods, and different pickup positioning, they're bound to sound quite a bit different.
They are a bit muddy but I use a guitar head and yeah what you said about long scale etc. I get distortion with out a pedal. But I'm digging the thunder bird idea. Kinda expensive though

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:05:42 PM »
They are a bit muddy but I use a guitar head and yeah what you said about long scale etc. I get distortion with out a pedal. But I'm digging the thunder bird idea. Kinda expensive though

Pick up a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunderbird-Bass-Pickup-Vintage-Style-Gibson-Chrome-Resistance-9-2K-/222233047796?hash=item33be1f32f4

Not quite as good as Thunderbuckers by most accounts but pretty close.  Can't beat the price.