Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

The original Blue Boy bass?

(1/4) > >>

Dave W:
Apologies if this is old news.

Awhile back I looked a live footage of Jim Reeves' performances and never could find one with the bassist playing the 4000 Blue Boy. Tonight I saw this on Old Guitars in B&W on Facebook:

"Billy Grammer...notice the Brass TR Cover on his Gibson.
It was a Gibson option that had the player's name engraved on it.
Jim Reeve's Band behind him. That Ric Bass was Baby Blue, and I'll bet that gold guard Jazzmaster was too."

Unfortunately it's in black and white, but I've never heard of any other Ric owned by the bassist. Could very well be the one.

ilan:
Sounds great too in that busy bass line.

Paul Boyer:
That particular bass was "missing" for decades after James Kirkland (in the video) walked away from the music business and left the bass in Jim Reeves' basement. It surfaced a couple of years ago at a guitar shop that sold it to (supposedly) Vincent Gallo who collects the old, rare, Rick basses. In my interview with Kirkland, he expressed the desire to see that old bass again, but I fear he will never get that chance now. :-\

Jeff Scott:
He's playing with a pick!  8)  He probably influenced Squire's decision to do, likewise.  :mrgreen:

They guitarist with the Jazzmaster looks bored, he probably wished he had a 360 Capri, instead.  :mrgreen:

Dave W:
Yes, nice that you can actually hear the bass well. More likely to happen on old country videos since the guitar volume was usually lower and the drums were minimal..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version