Author Topic: What Can You Guys Tell Me About My Surprise New Bass- LP Double Cut  (Read 6175 times)

veebass

• View Profile
This morning I went to pick up two GK Neo 212ii cabinets that I won yesterday on eBay (very pleased with the price on them BTW).
Started chatting. The guy was selling them because he stopped playing a few years back. I asked if he had sold his basses and he said he still had one he wanted to sell. He said it was a Les Paul Double Cut but he hadn't serviced it is several years. He brought it out and asked what I thought it was worth. I said hard to say. He suggested a figure which I just couldn't believe. So she came home with me.
2006 Les Paul Double Cut in Black Cherry, I believe.
Neck is great, straight as an arrow, balances pretty well because of the pin position in the upper bout, no breaks, frets perfect,TB+ (Les Paul versions) clear and strong. pots quiet, output jack dodgy, a little surface rust on the saddles, strings rusted, a few scratches but nothing dreadful.
I had often wanted a LP Bass for the sound and the looks, but never bought one because of the weight and balance issues (the ones I had played even worried me and I am happy to gig 11 lb basses if they are balanced :lol: ).
Amazing part 4.2K- 9.25lbs and balances well!
Here she is a bit grotty, but I will clean her up and service her. I will post some more then.
These pics DO NOT do justice to the maple cap- it is more cherry red and the flame is quite striking.

So what can you guys tell me about these basses?- I believe they are different in some way to the LP Money Basses.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: What Can You Guys Tell Me About My Surprise New Bass- LP Double Cut
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
Congrats! There's really no difference except for the finishes, the original Doublecut was a 2006 model in the Guitar of the Week program, likewise with the Money is 2007. Both were to be issues of 400. Some of both were maple over mahogany, some of both had a walnut "tone plate" sandwiched in between. Apparently the Double Cut didn't sell its 400 in a year so some were still being made after the Money came out. IIRC the Money only came in natural satin and blue finishes, and of course the tacky $ TRC. There was an earlier discussion about this, I'll try to locate it.

Edit: here's one of the discussions, too bad the pics are gone. http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=8480.0

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:45:18 AM by Dave W »

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »
Congrats! There's really no difference except for the finishes, the original Doublecut was a 2006 model in the Guitar of the Week program, likewise with the Money is 2007. Both were to be issues of 400. Some of both were maple over mahogany, some of both had a walnut "tone plate" sandwiched in between. Apparently the Double Cut didn't sell its 400 in a year so some were still being made after the Money came out. IIRC the Money only came in natural satin and blue finishes, and of course the tacky $ TRC. There was an earlier discussion about this, I'll try to locate it.

Edit: here's one of the discussions, too bad the pics are gone. http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=8480.0

Thanks for that, mine appears to be s a mixture of flame and quilt and lacks the walnut layer.
I thought they were a GOW model.
I have thoroughly cleaned it and set it up. Came up nice. Everything works as it should except for the output jack- which I'll replace.
I'll post some better pics of the top.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 06:37:25 PM »
The Blue and natural Money basses were part of the GOW series. The Blue had the walnut plate the natural had not.

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/guitar%20of%20the%20week/

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 08:38:18 PM »
The Blue and natural Money basses were part of the GOW series. The Blue had the walnut plate the natural had not.

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/guitar%20of%20the%20week/

Thanks for the link. I had forgotten that each of the Money finishes were separate GOW issues. I was wrong, the 2006 Double Cut wasn't part of the GOW program b/c that program didn't begin until 2007.

But from  the earlier discussion I linked to, some of the 2006 Double Cuts had the walnut tone plate, others did not. And I wouldn't be too sure that Gibson kept strictly to the published specs in 2007.

Do you still have yours?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 09:53:41 PM »
Great score! I should have grabbed one of those when they were plentiful. It's a beautiful bass.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 12:47:19 AM »
Great score! I should have grabbed one of those when they were plentiful. It's a beautiful bass.

Thanks, yes the more I play it the more I am impressed.A full scale LP Bass that balances.
Just meant to be, I guess- went to pick up the two cabinets and the guy offered it to me for a price i just could not walk away from.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 04:26:01 AM »
This bass flat out rocks. Wish I still had my blue one. I sold it to a friend to help pay for some unforeseen damages after an intense bachelor party. I needed the money, oh the irony.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 10:06:59 AM »
Thanks for the link. I had forgotten that each of the Money finishes were separate GOW issues. I was wrong, the 2006 Double Cut wasn't part of the GOW program b/c that program didn't begin until 2007.

But from  the earlier discussion I linked to, some of the 2006 Double Cuts had the walnut tone plate, others did not. And I wouldn't be too sure that Gibson kept strictly to the published specs in 2007.

Do you still have yours?

I do, and used it at our latest gig.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »
Wow, that's a great story - it's nice to have some good luck like that every now and then.  Congrats!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »
Congratulations! I ordered one directly when they were available. Mine had Root Beer finish, gold hardware and and a stunningly flamed top. These sound pleasant to the ear and still gets heard in a twin guitar setup. I sold it after 2 1/2 years in favour of a LP Standard bass. No real regrets but the difference between those in sound is enough to own both but one can't have 'em all....

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
I remember yours, Daniel. Beautiful color.

Aren't these the ones with the different type of truss rod, or was that another model from the same era?

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 01:54:32 PM »

Aren't these the ones with the different type of truss rod, or was that another model from the same era?

Yes beautiful bass!

On the truss. Mine certainly is. I was a bit surprised when I took the TRC off. First thought was "Oh b@gger! The Truss rod nut is broken!". Particularly given there is a standard Gibson truss wrench sitting in the case. On closer inspection I saw it was a made for a hex wrench. Not much room in there either!
Found the right wrench and although tight, adjusted nicely!

Some better shots of the top after a good clean.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:39:59 PM by veebass »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 09:09:13 AM »

Yup, that tricky biflex rod I broke on mine  :-\ because I had never been confronted with a biflex truss rod before, idiot I am ( I had it fixed and turned into a - great - fretless while we were at it), I didn't realize that you can't unscrew the nut on those.

Fine, well-sounding (blurry, but not unfocused) and ergonomic basses. They don't cry out "LET'S RRRAWK!!!" to me, but they had a look of their own. Sans the walnut tone plate, the original Doublecut sounds a little clearer than the Mon(k)eys.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 12:33:53 PM »
Yup, that tricky biflex rod I broke on mine  :-\ because I had never been confronted with a biflex truss rod before, idiot I am ( I had it fixed and turned into a - great - fretless while we were at it), I didn't realize that you can't unscrew the nut on those.

Fine, well-sounding (blurry, but not unfocused) and ergonomic basses. They don't cry out "LET'S RRRAWK!!!" to me, but they had a look of their own. Sans the walnut tone plate, the original Doublecut sounds a little clearer than the Mon(k)eys.

Thanks, I suspected it was a biflex. I have a 90s Fender P Bass with one, so I am familiar with them.