Author Topic: Keef playing bass!  (Read 3457 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
Keef playing bass!
« on: August 26, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »
dunno if you guys have seen this before, but it was an eye opener for me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuy-10Ejck4

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Keef playing bass!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 06:33:05 AM »
Isn't it Richards playing bass on the recording of "Sympathy For The Devil"?  My least favorite Stones song...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:27:24 AM »
Yes, it is. Whatever you think of Wyman (I really love some of his bass lines), Keef is not in Wyman's league. Yet some guitarists seem to think the bass on Sympathy is better than what Wyman did. No accounting for taste.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:53:57 PM »
Ron Wood however, is a great bass player. He's played some nice lines with the Stones, Jeff Beck Group and Faces.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 02:06:11 PM »
I like the story that Wyman got a Mustang because Keef insisted he needed to start using Fender bass.  :mrgreen:

I've added a link to the isolated bass part to Sympathy for the Devil. 'Loose' would summarise it kindly. Not a fan of the tone; presumably gained by using those Vox amps you see in the studio footage for the Goddard film (I tried to watch that film once and gave up). Importantly I don't feel like the bass is locked in at all with the drums, just a sort of mumbled sidetrack. Definitely a guitarist on the bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOm8FinwhOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aVAO6FYiWg

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »
On his new solo album he plays quite a lot bass. Producer/drummer Steve Jordan wanted Keith to do that. Great album btw.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 06:44:55 AM »
Definitely a guitarist on the bass.
Still, works very well for the song. The sound is unimpressive when isolated, but so are so many of the Beatles bass tracks, and it's just what the song / arrangement needs.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 03:53:38 PM »
It's less sloppy than some of his guitar parts! Overall it's more nervous than anything Wyman would have ever put down, but then the vibe of that whole song is edgy and it fits with the lyrics.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 06:35:55 PM »
Still, works very well for the song. The sound is unimpressive when isolated, but so are so many of the Beatles bass tracks, and it's just what the song / arrangement needs.

Isolated tracks almost always sound weird!
There are tons on YouTube, many ripped from Rock Band games. I love listening to them, but it's funny how surprising they can be. 

For example, this sounds way sloppier than I would have guessed. Does it matter in context? No!

https://youtu.be/dFGTrOhy9RA

Or this.  Bizarre tone, some of the chords are totally different than you might expect, but it works in context.
https://youtu.be/sKAsTpGUOQo

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:18:08 AM »
Entwistle was actually quite sloppy, probably had to do with the fact that a lot of his bass parts were made up on the spot and of course his sound is unforgiving. Likewise Chris Squire, he was sloppy with grandeur. Good sloppy playing is an art in itself.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 08:17:19 AM »
Entwistle was actually quite sloppy, probably had to do with the fact that a lot of his bass parts were made up on the spot and of course his sound is unforgiving. Likewise Chris Squire, he was sloppy with grandeur. Good sloppy playing is an art in itself.

Yeah, it's funny reading the comments on some of the YouTube isolated bass vids. "THAT'S NOT GEDDY LEE! HE'S NOT THAT SLOPPY!" Yeah, he's perfect.  :rolleyes: Isolate any instrument, and you'll hear plenty of slop.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »

In honor of the highlighted comment, I have changed my sig.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
In honor of the highlighted comment, I have changed my sig.
8)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 02:50:54 PM »
SLOPPY BASSISTS UNITE!

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 02:56:10 PM »
SLOPPY BASSISTS UNTIE!

There you go - fixed it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."